This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#85811 May 14th, 2006 at 04:02 PM
I
OP Offline
I
I am thinking of purchasing a riding lawn mower for my home. I have a small yard, 65X135 and need to get a riding lawn mower due to my health. Is anyone familiar with the Ariens 1534? Is it a good machine, and one that will last along time? What about a small Snapper rear wheel drive? I am not familiar with any of these and want to make the right purchase. You help would be appreciated

#85812 May 26th, 2006 at 12:45 PM
B
B
I have a Simplicity, and I love it. I think the best thing to do is see if there is a place near you that sells and maintains lawn equipment. That way, you would have someone who would come out and service your tractor when you need it. I rely on my lawn equipment company for a lot. I would definitely NOT buy from a large place like Lowe's or Home Depot or Sears.

paula

#85813 May 26th, 2006 at 03:44 PM
A friend bought a snapper, and it seems to be a good mower, but the engine is in the rear and makes it easy to turn it over, which my friend has done already, so even though it is good mower, I don't believe it is built for safety.

#85814 August 20th, 2006 at 05:40 AM
C
C
hello ironside i can answer your original question
an Ariens/Gravely mower would last you a long long time with the proper oil changes and filter changes / greasing it when needed etc

ive run an older 60" zero turn model for over 8 years commercially so far i think ive replaced the spindles 4 times one of the hydro wheel motors and bent the deck running into a steel pipe that was about 6 inches outta the ground and the size of my arm .. but all this is from running the mower at least 20 hours a week for years.

just make sure you balance the blades every time you sharpen them or there will be added wear on the spindles and having the mower greased or greasing it yourself it should last for a long time.

toro is another brand of mower i would look into ive never had a problem with them.

a reputable service center should be able to keep any mower you purchase running great for a long time.

good luck shopping for a mower

#85815 August 20th, 2006 at 10:35 AM
If you have a choice between the Briggs motor and a Kohler, I would take the Kohler.

They cost a little more, but if you take care of it, it will run forever.

Kohler is the best small engine made!!

#85816 January 11th, 2007 at 10:43 PM
S
S
A Snapper is an excelent choice. Rear wheel is also a good feature because of the turning radius.

Link Copied to Clipboard