This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#85017 March 7th, 2007 at 01:18 AM
OP Offline
Petunias - planted too many in each pot - what to do? How do you handle those TINY seeds? Next time I think I'll put in rows.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hosta - when should I start picking them out and moving to little pots?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So far I have growing:
Liatrus
rose of Sharon
Petunias
Hollyhocks - these didn't do very well eek
Coneflowers
Geraniums
Hosta
Canna
Pampas Grass
And TONS more to go!

M
MLN Offline
M
They are pretty crowded in there, aren't they! It will be tedius but what I would do is take some small sewing or toenail scissors and carefully snip out all but the hardiest plants.

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
That works, and is recommended by alot of gardener's...

I am a softy and always try to pull the extra's out and replant.. most of the time I am successful if I get them transfered quick enough before the roots can get entwined together..
****But you should not handle the stem of the little seedling, you should handle one of the stems.. ( flw

OP Offline
I cleaned out my english daisies and petunias to 1 plant per pot - looks good now!

Any ideas on the flat of hostas? Should I transfer the ones that have emerged to something else and put under lights?

M
MLN Offline
M
I've never transplanted hosta that small but have done so with many other plants. Just carefully dig some of them out with a teaspoon (take a good chunk of soil with it) and put it in whatever else you want. They should do fine. You could leave maybe half of them right where they are just to play it safe so that if your transplants don't make it (tho I'll bet they will) you will still have plenty left.

Hostas are pretty easy to work with, but I think I would let them get a little bigger before I transferred them to another pot. I grow my Hostas where they get some light when they are small, but not too much and they seem to do fine. wink

Hi farm girl, just a tip for future years. If seeds are very fine and you want to sow them thinly, then 'water' them down. Just mix them with a little dry, fine sand (amount depends on how thin) and spread a little of that mix around the soil/compost. Too late for you this year but gardening is not the fastest hobby in the world. smile

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
With my petunias this year I used the wet finger method. That way I picked up just the number I wanted and put them where I wanted them. I know I'm compulsive/obsessive and a control freak. That is absolutely true. But I only have 3 seeds in each yogurt cup. And I'm happy with that. I hated to loose so many last year because they were over crowded and I just can't thin.

I am trying to learn how to thin as well. I don't have big problems if I view them as an easy variety. If they are rare and more than expected germinate, I will try to transfer them. On the other hand, I am a biology student and I like to remember that mother nature equips many organisms with a ridiculous reproductive potential. In the wild, probably 2% of those seedlings would survive (and it would still be a lot). So thinning indoors really isn't so bad.

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I watch them everyday from the day I plant them. I just can't detach. Even though I know that it's natures way. I'm way to attached by the time they germinate lol.

Link Copied to Clipboard