This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8478 October 29th, 2002 at 10:03 PM
M
mapache Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I was curious, how long should I wait between waterings to water my plant that doesn't have drain holes in the pot. I have rocks at the bottom of each plant pot, but I'm always worried about over watering. If the soil looks dry I water it. Do you think what I'm doing is alright or should I mark on my calender days to water those specific pots?

Thanks in advanced,
Mapache

#8479 October 30th, 2002 at 04:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Mapache,

Using pots without drainage holes is never a good idea. The drainage material in the bottom doesn't really help anything.

As you have discovered, there is no way to be sure when you have added enough water because the excess doesn't run out, it just collects in the bottom of the pot. If you add a bit too much each time you water, then eventually the water will rise high enough to rot the roots. If you are cautious and add too little each time, then the lower roots will die from lack of water.

Even if you were to provide exactly the right amount of water each time, there is still the problem of toxic gases building up in the bottom of the pot becaue they have no where to go.

As you can see, using drainless pots is a very risky proposition that may work for a while, but eventually will lead to the premature death of your plant.

You may be interested in my website at www.HorticulturalHelp.com

[ October 30, 2002: Message edited by: Will Creed ]

#8480 October 30th, 2002 at 06:26 PM
M
mapache Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks, Will. I make sure to put holes in the bottom of those pots or change them to pots with holes! Thank you so much!

Lisa

Link Copied to Clipboard