This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#84653 September 21st, 2006 at 05:19 AM
J
johnCT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
A couple weekends ago I tried to move my bins that I made from pallets a few years ago and I found the bottom boards to be rotted apart. So I decided to build some new ones. This is what I came up with. Had a great place for it behind my new shed out of sight.

[Linked Image]

Now I just have to move all the compost! shk

#84654 September 21st, 2006 at 05:35 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
John,
Just whennnnnnnnnnn are you comin' to my smile house,
that's what I wanna know..
Those are simply gorgeous..... cool cool cool Duh
Just curious??
And wouldn't you loose some of it, back thru the holes on the back side of that beautifulllllll shed too?***

#84655 September 21st, 2006 at 06:30 AM
J
johnCT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
That's all been thought of already Weezie. There's six inches of compacted process under the floor of that shed and the floor itself is six inch thick reinforced 4000 psi concrete. The siding is cememt board. Primed and painted. It will never rot. Does that answer your questions? laugh thumbup

You say the word and I'll build you some bins. All it will cost you is a nice home-cooked meal. smile

#84656 September 21st, 2006 at 08:25 AM
Love 'em. That's exactly what I need...

Dianna

#84657 September 21st, 2006 at 07:48 PM
A
A
Wow! John, those are great! I like that the fronts are open to make it easy to turn the compost. Why three? Do you use different stuff in each one? Or do you just have that much compost?

#84658 September 21st, 2006 at 09:41 PM
J
johnCT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanx guys. Amy, 3 is the best way to make sure you can assure yourself of having completely finished material. One pile is completely done, one is working and the other is the one I add to. Even using two piles I've found that I've had unfinished material mixed in with the finished stuff. You'll see by the old picture below that I started a seperate pile even when I had a two bin system going... nutz

[Linked Image]

#84659 September 21st, 2006 at 11:59 PM
John, my boyfriend is going to be SOOOOOO mad at you! angell

#84660 September 22nd, 2006 at 12:12 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by johnCT:
That's all been thought of already Weezie. There's six inches of compacted process under the floor of that shed and the floor itself is six inch thick reinforced 4000 psi concrete. The siding is cememt board. Primed and painted. It will never rot. Does that answer your questions? laugh thumbup

You say the word and I'll build you some bins. All it will cost you is a nice home-cooked meal. smile
John, Well, you definately do have it well thought out.. *that shed siding doesn't even look like cement board..* gosh, wish I had that...

In a heart~beat I'd have that home cooked meal ready for you... no doubt in my mind.... a few meals at that...

I'm tryin' for that lottery you know...

I'm hopin' you'll keep some pictures for us..
*(especially ME smile )* thumbup

#84661 September 22nd, 2006 at 07:25 AM
Looks fantastic John!! Great job on the shed too! thumbup You most certainly know what you're doing!!

#84662 September 22nd, 2006 at 07:44 AM
J
johnCT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally posted by ChristinaC:
Looks fantastic John!! Great job on the shed too! thumbup You most certainly know what you're doing!!
Thanks! I try.

#84663 September 22nd, 2006 at 10:47 PM
A
A
OOOOOHHHHH...I see. How long does it take for a pile to get "done." I just have one pile beside my porch under an awning. It doesn't look as bad as that sounds. It's on the back side of the house beside the veg. garden and under the awning it doesn't get soaked by rains. I mostly use coffee grounds (from Starbucks, thanks guys!), leaves and grass trimmings and old potting soil from when I repot. But mine never looks as "done" as yours.

#84664 September 22nd, 2006 at 10:51 PM
A
A
I think I need to try your system. I could do the home cooked meal plan, but CT is a long drive for you. Maybe you could help me out long-distance. Are those 2X4's with chicken wire? Screws are probably better than nails? Or did you use some kind of brackets for corners? Sorry for the dumb questions, maybe we need a carpentry category? Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Amy

#84665 September 22nd, 2006 at 11:10 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Sorry for the dumb questions
Amy,
There's never any dumb questions here..
Just about everyone that answers a question here has a real passion for gardening, composting, etc.. and we remember what it's like to just be starting out in the gardening experience and we're thrilled to be able to help a new gardener thru any questions they have..

And don't be afraid to keep askin' or clarifing something you don't understand..
That's how we all learn....
( AND COMPOST!!!! thumbup )

#84666 September 23rd, 2006 at 12:45 AM
J
johnCT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Amy, I don't mind the questions. Yes, pressure treated 2x4's(Nine 10' pieces) and chicken wire. You need to use either stainless steel or galvanized nails with pressure treated wood. I used galvanized nails as they are cheaper than screws and chicken wire cuz its cheaper than hardware cloth. I also used construction adhesive along with the nails for added strength. If you look closely, the two middle frames are attached with galvanized brackets to simplify the system.

#84667 September 24th, 2006 at 10:44 PM
John,
I love your new bins.
I just started composting 2 weeks ago.
The bin that is here is old and the boards are rotting, but it will do till spring and then I'm gonna talk my boyfriend into making me something like yours.(hopefully)
I showed him the picture and he's wondering if your gonna lose soil through the holes?
I did get him to make me a sifter so know I need a new bin to go with it. laugh
I'm also wondering if you cover your bins at all??
Just beginning, so I have lots of ???
Tammy

#84668 September 25th, 2006 at 04:47 AM
A
A
John, I think mine will be a spring project too. It's possible that mine wasn't getting wet enough. When I saw how dark and pretty yours was, I started sprinkling it every time I turned it and it's already looking better. So for others who are just beginning a compost pile, that is something that definitely needs to be done.

#84669 September 25th, 2006 at 04:53 AM
J
johnCT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi Tammy. Well, first of all it's not soil...it's compost and some of the material will undoubtedly get through the holes, but there's a reason for using the chicken wire. Airflow. The composting process needs nitrogen, oxygen, etc in the air. That's one of the reasons turning the pile often helps it break down faster. Also, no I don't cover my bins. The process also needs moisture so I like to let the piles get soaked by the rains.

Here's a pic after moving all my material and making some new stuff today...
[Linked Image]

And here's some of my finished product....black gold.
[Linked Image]

#84670 September 25th, 2006 at 10:25 AM
Hey John,
Looks good. clp
Now I see I really do need more than one bin.
Today as I added more to my bin, I wished I had another to use.
Who knows maybe I can start the sweet talking now.
If I threaten to build it on my own I know he'll take over. laugh
Tammy

#84671 October 16th, 2006 at 04:50 AM
That is EXACTLY what I've been bugging my DH to build me for the past 2 years!! He's gonna see that photo tonight when he gets home...Thanks John!!

#84672 October 16th, 2006 at 05:12 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I'll bug him for you toooo Netty if you want me too...

gab Get on it Netty's DH!!!!! wink wink laugh laugh

John, I just want to dive right into that
wheelbarrow...

#84673 March 6th, 2007 at 12:42 AM
Great job . Keep up the good work .

Link Copied to Clipboard