This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#84454 October 9th, 2004 at 01:48 AM
Sami Offline OP
OP Offline
I have this in my yard. I read that it was American Sumac and was under the impression that it's not poisonous. So, I went out to try to move it because I thought it would be pretty next to my rock garden. However, after fooling with it for about 15 minutes, 2 days later I broke out all over my arms. I didn't see any poison ivy or oak there. Could I be alergic to this or did I get into something else by accident?

plants/sumac1.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

plants/sumac2.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

plants/sumac3.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

If this is American Sumac, can it be propagated using these shoots that are growing from the bottom?

plants/sumacshoots1.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

plants/sumacshoots2.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

#84455 October 9th, 2004 at 06:24 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
It looks like sumac to me!!!

The berries are poisonous!!!!
Not sure about anything else?????

The roots are on runners like....

Could be sensitive skin???

Weezie

#84456 October 9th, 2004 at 03:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is a species of sumac that causes skin irritation. Heres some info...

Poison sumac

Karen grinnnn

#84457 October 15th, 2004 at 08:29 PM
Yep! Sumac! I have five in my back yard. Be careful not to confuse the tree with the vine that is poisonous. As for the berrys on the plant, I'm pretty sure they aren't poisonous. I used to eat them when I was a kid, although I don't recommend it. They are very bitter. Hope this helps.

#84458 October 16th, 2004 at 04:06 AM
Sami Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks...yeah, I know it's not supposed to be the poisonous kind but I sure did break out & itch like crazy. Can I cut those "branches" off & root them? I think it's so pretty & would look so nice near my rock/cactus garden.

Link Copied to Clipboard