This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#84388 August 24th, 2004 at 11:40 PM
P
OP Offline
P
This subject sounds like I am in a game show LOL

Anyway, in attempt to regain control of the flower beds from the weeds, I stumbled across a very painful vine.

It has leaves grouped into threes, and the stem is a whitish color, and there are millons of small thorns (OUCH)

My husband thinks that it is a rasberry vine, but I have not idea. I'm still trying to figure out if I want to keep it or not, since it REALLY hurts.

I am including a website with pics (they are down to the bottom of the page) Prickly vine

#84389 August 25th, 2004 at 03:28 AM
S
S
I agree with your husband. Looks like a raspberry plant to me too.

#84390 August 25th, 2004 at 04:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Peejeeratties,

I'd say Black Raspberry's!!!

Yummy Fruits, but can get a little outta control if you let them ramble...
I let them grow in my "wild area" and 3 years later, I finally got a good crop, but now they are going all over the place...

But, questions, have you seen any flowers/fruit on them yet?
They look young to me, so I am thinking no.....

I would definately WAIT until you send in pictures of the flowers and fruit before you eat anything!!!!
It is soooooo better to be SAFE THAN SORRY!!!

When they are young, they don't produce, but should by next year I would think??????? Duh

Please keep us posted gab

Weezie

P/S Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum by the way!! We are very glad you found us!!!

#84391 August 25th, 2004 at 01:41 PM
S
S
The whitish-green coloring of the cane means it's probably first-year growth and won't bear fruit this season. Next year the cane should be brown and you should get some berries.

#84392 August 25th, 2004 at 06:36 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the info.

I guess I will keep it around unless it decides to mutilate my fingers again. LOL

It hasn't shown any signs of flowers or even buds, so it looks like we will have to wait till next year for that.

Is there anything special I need to do for them???

Thanks

Shirley

#84393 August 28th, 2004 at 03:27 AM
S
S
They like acid soil, so if your soil is alkaline, a little Miracid would help them. They also need lots of sunshine. My raspberry patch that I had for years has just about completely disappeared since being shaded by a fast growing maple.

#84394 September 1st, 2004 at 06:21 PM
P
OP Offline
P
If they need lots of sunshine, then how do I go about moving them? They are under a HUGE tree with quite a bit of shade. Really pretty much every where in our yard is shaded for most of the day. Are they going to be sad little plants now?

Link Copied to Clipboard