This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#83732 August 20th, 2006 at 06:32 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi everyone! I know this is a horrible pic, but these aren't my plants so I kind of hurried to get this pic so no one would see me and think I was nuts.. LOL! Anyways, they're very tall like sunflowers, I'd say about 6 ft tall, or maybe more. But the flowers are small (about the size of a Shasta Daisy). Can anyone identify this? I hope so because I don't want to have to take another pic if at all possible lala

[Linked Image]

#83733 August 21st, 2006 at 02:11 AM
It's a Sunflower...possibly Maximilian's Sunflower, Helianthus maximiliani. There are so many that grow wild, it would be hard to come with a positive ID. wink Maximilian\'s Sunflower

#83734 August 22nd, 2006 at 06:41 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for your reply, Rosie! I'm thinking that it's probably not that one because of the leaves. I found this page with the leaves and they don't seem to match. Let me know what you think:

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/prairie/plantx/mx_sunflowerx.htm

I also had 2 posters on another message board offer "Helianthus, 'Lemon Queen'", "some form of heliopsis", and "jerusalem artichoke". I'm so lost after looking at all of those, because they're so similar! I'm thinking it looks a lot like the Jerusalem Artichoke. What do you think? Maybe I'll need to take a better picture. LOL!

#83735 August 22nd, 2006 at 11:40 PM
I think it is definitely in the Helianthus family, whether it's plain ol' Sunflower or Jerusalem Artichoke, etc. It could be a form of Heliopsis...I just don't know. Way too many cultivars of each to make a positive ID. Sorry. Duh

#83736 August 23rd, 2006 at 08:08 AM
D
OP Offline
D
No problem, Rosie! I totally understand because I'm lost after looking at all these pictures, too! I never knew there were so many so similar. Thanks again!

#83737 August 23rd, 2006 at 01:30 PM
daylily,

I remember seeing WILD sunflowers growing on the farm I was raised on in South Texas. They would often grow to 6 feet and sometimes a little taller. They had very small flowers like you mentioned. I know that there are tons to have to choose from. But I have to say that I never saw anyone growing them in a flower bed or garden, lol. But we always thought of them as a weed that the cows couldn't eat... frown

But I can see wanting to plant something like this in a flower bed (now that I'm not around them everyday). shocked

Have fun, if you do get them! thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard