This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#83654 November 16th, 2005 at 01:21 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Hubby & I drove down to San Francisco this past weekend, on our annual pilgrimage to a Raider game (LOST! GRRR!), & I saw a gorgeous flowering vine climbing up a building near Fisherman's Wharf. The 3-petaled red blossom (which almost appear to be red leaves) have a little white star-like flower growing from the base of the main vein on each petal.
[Linked Image]
As if my magic, of course, a couple of short branches came off in my hand shk so I have them in water now, but I'm not sure if this plant will grow from cuttings.

The lady at the hotel desk saw me carry in my find & told me that she only knew the Spanish name for it, & she wrote down "TRINITANAS " for me. I tried Googling it, but get no results. (none that are flowers, anyway.) Anybody know what it is and/or anything about it?

#83655 November 16th, 2005 at 01:31 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
It is definitely called a bougainvillea plant. There are several colors to chose from. Roots are sensitive to being moved.....after established (drought tolerant) the drier the better and it will give you tons of blooms. Requires full sun. Bougainvillea can get VERY large and take over the top of your house(not invasive at the base)....just keep it pruned and you will have a beautiful plant. Remember there are thorns....the older the plant the longer and bigger the thorns.
I have never tried to propagate them so I cannot help you out in that department.
Catlover

#83656 November 16th, 2005 at 04:19 AM
I've not been successful propagteing it.nor by air layering it.BUT am successful growing it.I grow it in a cocoa fiber lined wire basket(10"?)Its been there 3 years.It gets fertilized regularly& blooms almost constantly.it has started blooming again& 2 branches got shortened by Rita(it was a cedar tree invasion)When I try to root some again& I'm going to try a deeper pot(like a styrofoam drink cup)I used roting hormone,but think maybe a deeper stick might do better.I think a fall propagation was said to work.My stems that were shortened were about 20-22" and after the break it branched out and has more blooms on those 2 branchges,so think a trimming will occur about Febuary when will be finished blooming.I have a fushia flowered one.they have variegated leaf ones also& a few other colored flowers.

This page should help you.Its Houston.But he has alot of info about everything bougainvillia.

http://www.houstongardening.info/bouginfo.htm

#83657 November 18th, 2005 at 12:45 PM
HI Patty wavey heres a link on how to propagate any type of plant from A to Z hope it helps.look down on the list to see bougainvillea.it will tell you what type of rooting hormone to use on them to make them root.i have found that the powder works the best it can be de solved in water also.it will not mater what name brand you use.also remove most of the leaves just leave a few at the top of the cuttings.i use a 1 gal flower pot to root cuttings place them kind of deep 3 inchs or so in the soil mix and just keep them lightly moist not water logged.
http://www.rooting-hormones.com/plntlist.htm
good luck on propagating your cuttings that fell off in you hand laugh
your friend in gardening.mike57 wavey flw flw

Link Copied to Clipboard