This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#83540 August 24th, 2006 at 02:22 PM
OP Offline
Hey ya'll,

My neighbor is growing some type of vine along my fence. We are not on speaking terms, so I can't very well ask him what this is but I am getting ready to chop it down, on my side that is!:

At first I thought these were lemons, then limes. I had a brainstorm, ah Stephanie, just pull one down and open the creature.

I did that this morning only to find a milky substance oozing out. Not a lemon or lime, shucks.

Here's a pic. What is this mystery plant?
[Linked Image]
Does anyone know what this is?

#83541 August 24th, 2006 at 03:18 PM
oh, wow-- looks weird! It's a vine, right, not a tree? If it WAS a tree i'd have to say it looks a bit like a pear...

#83542 August 24th, 2006 at 04:05 PM
Could that be a passion fruit. They grow on vines. Did the plant have any blooms that you have seen?

#83543 August 24th, 2006 at 04:34 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
That looks like a Pawpaw to me.

#83544 August 24th, 2006 at 04:51 PM
OP Offline
Hi badplanter,

It's a vine.

buzylady,
It doesn't appear to be a passion fruit. frown I had to "google" passion fruit to see what they look like. I haven't seen any blooms on the vine.

Thornins
Hmmm, Pawpaw. This gets more interesting as I go along. I also "googled" Pawpaw to see what that was. It's not a Pawpaw. frown It's definitely on a vine.

Hey ya'll. I've got an idea. idea Tomorrow I'm going to pick another one, slice it open, and snap a picture for everyone to see. As I said earlier, it has a milky substance to it. We'll see tomorrow. Stay tuned.

#83545 August 24th, 2006 at 05:56 PM
O
O
I only know this, because I was watching Emeril Live on Tuesday night. He used this fruit in a dish called shrimp and merliton casserole. They are more commonly called chayotes. I think I've seen them in the exotic fruit section of my local Kroger store. Chayote is the Spanish name, although, it is now cultivated world wide. I believe it was originally from South America. Merliton is what it's called in Louisiana (a cajun name) though Emeril says locally it's also called alligator pear.

#83546 August 25th, 2006 at 12:30 AM
If it's got milky sap, I say just be careful, almost everything I know that has milky sap is poisinous in some way...

#83547 August 25th, 2006 at 04:27 AM
O
O
I'm having second thoughts about my ID. I found some pictures of chayote plants this morning, and although the fruits look similar, the leaves do not. Also, chayote vines are said to have tendrils and look more like squash or melon vines to which they are related.

#83548 August 25th, 2006 at 04:52 AM
OP Offline
obywan59,
I didn't think it was a Merliton. Good guess though. A Merliton is a Louisiana veggie. I stuff Merlitons with italian bread crumbs and shrimp! Yummie!!!! smile

Kennyso,

Thanks for the heads up. Now I'm someone leary about opening this thing up, what do ya'll think? frown :rolleyes:

#83549 August 25th, 2006 at 05:46 AM
Try searching for info on Kiwi Vine. There are a number of varieties that might match up with your neighbors vine.

#83550 August 26th, 2006 at 05:45 AM
OP Offline
Hi TulsaRose wavey

That's a good guess. I just "googled" kiwi vines. Nope. frown I think my pic is somewhat deceiving as I snappped it from beneath the vine and plant.

I will take more pics soon and post. I'll get the leaves and the fruit or whatever in question. I will also cut it open. Hopefully we will be able to figure out what this is! :rolleyes:
Stephanie

Others?

#83551 August 28th, 2006 at 10:23 AM
P
P
Hello,

I have chayotes and kiwis....but that definitely doesn't look like either.

There is a fruit here that resembles it though...Membrillo, but I don't know if it is a vine, and I don't usually buy them to eat so I don't really know what they are like inside: http://www.infojardin.com/Frutales/fichas/membrillo-membrillos.htm

Zapote also looks slightly like it. It is not something I would usually buy either though so I don't really know. They sell it at the supermarket but not often. Why don't you ask another neighbor that may be on speaking terms with both of you to ask him?

Good luck!

#83552 August 30th, 2006 at 06:50 AM
OP Offline
Hi Physicist wavey

Thanks for your input!

I looked up Membrillo - nope frown

Zapote, neither frown

The neighbor on the other side does not talk to the neighbor either. The vines are only on my side as well.

As promised, here's another pic of the vine with whatever this is (fruit)

[Linked Image]

I cut the fruit(?) open. Here's a pic.
[Linked Image]

What is this mystery plant?

#83553 August 30th, 2006 at 06:55 AM
I've been following this too and i cant wait to find out what it is!!!!

#83554 August 30th, 2006 at 07:04 AM
OP Offline
Hey Penny in Ontario! wavey

Hopefully we shall soon see. :rolleyes: Everyone, read above Penny's post for the latest in this mystery plant! I have included new pictures to the puzzle!

#83555 August 30th, 2006 at 09:02 AM
Can you give us an approximate size of that fruit?

#83556 August 30th, 2006 at 11:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know what it is either, but I can't wait to find out---that is one strange looking fruit.

#83557 August 30th, 2006 at 12:37 PM
Are those thorns on the branches??

I believe it could be quince. It would have flowered very early in the spring.

#83558 August 30th, 2006 at 07:10 PM
Ack I have seen this fruit before...I cannot remember what the name is though...I am sorry I cannot recall the name of the plant(this is one of those things I am going to remember later and I will feel stupid)

#83559 August 31st, 2006 at 01:14 PM
Don't eat that fruit......

It may not be fruit.....

dodge

#83560 August 31st, 2006 at 03:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
sure looks like it's quince...not sure which variety. could be the 'pineapple' one. the fruit turns yellow when it's ripe.

do you have a local extension office to take a bit of the plant (and the fruit) to for an id? check with your county about it.

it's probably quince tho...the fruit is generally used to make jam/jelly/marmalade. doesn't seem to be eaten raw.

#83561 September 3rd, 2006 at 02:17 PM
OP Offline
Hey ya'll, here's an up-to-date on this mystery plant.

Tulsa rose,
Approximate size would be close to a large lemon or lime. When I first saw this hanging on my side, I assumed I'd have lemons or limes for my drinks! Not so though. sca

loz,
still a mystery! wink

melcon6,
There are no thorns on the vine that I can see. There are/were no flowers that I could see either. :rolleyes:

medon,
Wish you could recall the name of this fruit (?) If it comes to you, please post.

dodge,
hey!
I will not eat it for sure. I don't think it's fruit either. shk The inside really looks odd. shk

joclyn,
hi! I just "googled" quince, and I can't find a match. I looked at the "pineapple" and I know it's not that. Could possibly be quince but there were no match ups that I could see.

What is this mystery plant ya'll? Is it quince?

:rolleyes:

#83562 September 3rd, 2006 at 04:53 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by obywan59:
I'm having second thoughts about my ID. I found some pictures of chayote plants this morning, and although the fruits look similar, the leaves do not. Also, chayote vines are said to have tendrils and look more like squash or melon vines to which they are related.
I was going to say the same thing at first too..
*but the leaves aren't matching at all*

#83563 September 3rd, 2006 at 05:20 PM
wavey Hi Stephanie,

I think your neighbor has a mature Creeping fig vine (Ficus pumila) .
Quoting from the Missouri Botanical Garden\'s plant finder site:

Creeping fig is a vigorous, fast-growing, evergreen, climbing vine that from a distance simply does not look much like a fig.
Where it may be grown outdoors, (USDA zones 9-11) it will climb and cover walls, posts, trellises and other structures by adhesive aerial rootlets.
Outdoor plants can grow to 15 ft or more.
On climbing stems, juvenile foliage consists of ovate, heart-shaped leaves to 1 in long.
**On fruit-bearing stems, mature foliage is oblong to elliptic, thicker, shinier and larger (to 4 in long).
Hairy pear-shaped fruits may appear on outdoor plants throughout the year.

Fruits emerge green ripening to purple.
flowers and fruits rarely appear on indoor plants.
Stems have a milky sap.
And, wink just have a peek at this image of a split fruit. thumbup

What-cha think?

#83564 September 4th, 2006 at 01:51 AM
Yukkkkkkkkkkk

Not what I want to eat......

Looks odd.

dodge

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard