This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#82815 January 16th, 2005 at 07:35 AM
Ann1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Years ago my cousin in MO had a most beautiful magenta wildflower growing in her yard which was an old farmhouse. She didn't take any photos of it, doesn't remember what it was, and it is no longer growing--but we both think it was a wild geranium. I saw it again about 9 years ago in Kansas and asked people what it was, hoping to get it identified, but the responses ere "that's a weed"! Not what I wanted to hear. eek

The plant was between 12" to 20" tall and grew in the shape of a doughnut. Both times I saw it in that shape--about 16" across with a definite but small vacant area in the center.

The color was magnificent--an intense magenta that almost glowed--I think it might be called a "saturated" color.

I have searched for various combinations of magenta, geranium, cranesbill, wildflowers, etc. but with no luck on the first page or two of hits. The closest I could find was Geranium psilostemon Patricia Hardy Geranium Patricia at Wayside but I'm not sure that's it.

The areas where they were growing were both prairie or meadow like, but no luck searching there either. Of course, it may not be a geranium/cranesbill at all.

Anyone have any ideas, please?

Thanks
Ann flw

#82816 January 16th, 2005 at 09:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ann, Patricia geranium photo looks similar to one I've been looking to identify myself. The color is the most intense magenta but my plant is more of a low (6"), sprawling groundcover. Also the leaves of mine are more fern-like that the patricia geranium. It's a hardy plant that grows on footpaths and driveways. Could it be we're searching to identify the same plant?

#82817 January 16th, 2005 at 12:26 PM
Ann1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Cricket, that could be it. Do you have a photo?
My memory is terrible and it was so long ago--It could have been only 6 in. I don't remember the leaves either except that it grew in a circle both times--reminded me of a magenta "fairy ring".

#82818 January 20th, 2005 at 05:40 AM
L
L
My yarrow does that..leaves a vacant spot in the middle as it spreads, and the leaves are small and fernlike. In Utah we only have white yarrow that grows wild, but I have some from the nursery that is a beautiful magenta. Does it have a pungent smell?

#82819 January 21st, 2005 at 01:01 AM
Ann1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Lizard, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the new idea! My only experience with yarrow was the tall plant with clusters of yellow flowers, but I found the yarrow I think you referred to at Balkan Yarrow

The "wildflower" cool (it's too pretty to be anything else--and definitely not invasive since those two in bloom are the only ones I've ever seen!) is a single bloom on a stem but the rest of the description is the same as your yarrow--from what I remember. It could be a rock garden plant, though it wouldn't be one to fit in a cubby hole.

I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

Ann

PS I don't remember a scent and a yarrow scent would have made an impression--I think.

#82820 January 21st, 2005 at 01:10 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Ann,
Try some of these??????????? Duh ?????????????
Wild Pink Flowers *4 pages*

Or this pink flower page.

0r this one Pink Wild Onion

Weezie

#82821 January 21st, 2005 at 02:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The plant I'm trying to identify might be a variety of cranesbill but with more delicate foliage that the varieties I've seen. The flower is also a more vibrant, intense magenta than the cranesbill colors I'm familiar with. Unfortunately, I don't have photos but saved some seeds which I'll probably start soon. When I have photos, I'll repost!

#82822 January 21st, 2005 at 02:48 AM
Ann1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, Weezie,

I checked those out, but no luck. The Connecticut connection made me start thinking again more about prairie/grassland and went to several MO and KS botanical gardens. I think this might be it!! First clue was from MO Botanical Garden--a great place to visit in St. Louis and an extremely helpful website MO Botanical Garden Website

Callirhoe involucrata wavey kissies

#82823 January 21st, 2005 at 02:59 AM
Ann1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Here are more pictures and a description, and source of seeds and plants.

Easyliving Native Perennial Wildflowers

I had checked this site earlier but didn't get to the right one.

Using the latin name--there are all sorts of pictures. I probably looked at some and missed them. Thanks to everyone who helped.

I'm so happy!! laugh

#82824 January 21st, 2005 at 03:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good for you for finding it, Ann! thumbup

I think it might also be the plant I've been looking for (memory is a bit fuzzy though! shocked )

Now if I can only find those seeds I saved!

#82825 January 28th, 2005 at 07:10 PM
C
C
Ann,
When you said you saw this plant in Ks, I had to laugh, thinking it is probably purple poppy mallow. When I moved here years ago, I dug one up and moved it to my yard, thinking it was a pretty flower. People here think of them as weeds. They do grow better in poor soil, or in rock gardens or xeriscape areas. Let me know in springtime if you want some! I love the color and low growing form also.
Cindi

#82826 January 29th, 2005 at 12:03 AM
Ann1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, Cindi! I'll take you up on the offer in the spring!

I had written to a contact in Wichita and asked for help, then found the info above. I'll let her know.

What ph does it prefer? I have a good spot, but I think it's acidic. I just hope it's not too humid here though from some of what I've read it should be ok.

I think wildflowers in KS don't get much credit, from most residents there, but they do have problems with a number of plants that are ok in other places--such as ox-eyed daisy. I'm glad you enjoy this gorgeous wildflower, too. Finding them in the field in KS was one of those rare treats of unexpected beauty, and I was so disappointed when it was dismissed so easily as a "weed". You are another kindred spirit.

Also, welcome to the forum. This is a great site and has helped answer several mystery plant questions for me already. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Thanks.
Ann

Link Copied to Clipboard