This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#82696 December 31st, 2004 at 11:57 PM
Ann1 Offline OP
OP Offline
I found it, I found it!!! laugh laugh I've been trying to track down my mystery plant from Wunderphoto that the photographer called a dragon flower. I haven't found that name used elsewhere, so have continued sleuthing. http://tinyurl.com/4dbty

I received only two responses from my emails, but the first got me to the right family, Caesalpinia gilliesii [Pride of Barbados . Bird of Paradise Bush] But this wasn't exactly it. Duh

Today we hit the jackpot--it is Caesalpinia pulcherrima  [Red bird of paradise] with pictures at http://www.tropilab.com/caesal-pul.html thumbup

For those of you in dry hot areas, this might be a plant for you. Not only is it the red, orange, yellow of the pictures, but other variations as well.

Happy New Year!! parte

Ann

#82697 January 1st, 2005 at 01:18 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Thanks An, that is on e gorgeous flower..
I love red and orange together.
*I got a Glorisa lily this year, that was orange and red like those two colors together, and it
was BEAUTIFUL!!!*

Thank you for updating us on this....
Hate to see a good Mystery flower get us!!!
Thanks for keep looking!!!

Weezie

#82698 January 1st, 2005 at 05:15 AM
DAMN!! That is PRETTY!! Someone gave me seeds for this or something like it this year. I hope they are easy to start from seed--I sure want to now!! WOW!! I will start one or two tomorrow!! Maybe if I am reallllllll lucky I will have a couple extras to swap this spring??!! The person gave me quite a bit of seeds too if I remember right!! WOW!! Awesome!! You HAVE this plant Ann1????? WOW!! thumbup Bonnie

#82699 January 1st, 2005 at 05:33 AM
I found instructions for starting the seeds!!

Germination Instructions for Caesalpinia pulcherrima--Peacocok flower/Pride of Barbados

I found the seeds--I have 26 seeds!! WOW!! I HOPE they all will germinate!! Well, I will try to start 2-3 tomorrow. It is said to take 4-8 weeks for germination, we'll see!! If they do not, I will wait till spring here and try again with another 2-3 seeds! And try direct sowing 2-3 outside!! I will be pretty excited if I get them to come up so I will probably tell you all about it! hehehe And post lots of photos too!!

Bonnie

#82700 January 1st, 2005 at 01:30 PM
Ann1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Bonnie,

I don't have the plant yet--I saw the photo and fell in love!!! I found a source and that's my next purchase. Good luck with yours.

Ann

#82701 January 1st, 2005 at 03:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i've never seen a plant quite like that, but might have to check it out!

#82702 January 3rd, 2005 at 02:19 PM
As my daughter often says - eye candy! But I don't think she and I have the same thing in mind.

#82703 January 18th, 2005 at 08:44 PM
Ann1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello again,

I love gardening blogs and when checking recent entries of my favorite blog Bookish Gardener the writer referred to the Human flower Projects article on Madonna of the Pinks, which has been touring England before being installed as a new purchase at the National Gallery. The article is worth checking out. Human Flower Project

But I was stunned when I started browsing through the site and saw a picture of our Caesalpinia pulcherrima When I went to the another page, there was an article called "Pride and Joy", about the Pride of Barbados another alias of our subject!! Human Flower Project--Sat Jan 15 entry

The Human flower Project is definitely worth a visit. Enjoy!

Ann

Link Copied to Clipboard