This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#82174 September 1st, 2006 at 01:03 PM
OP Offline
(Note: I had originally posted this under the "House plants" forum, but then I found this forum--I think it's wonderful that there's a separate section for the purpose of identifying mystery plants!)

My family received a potted plant as a gift earlier in the summer; it appeared to be in the same container as when it was purchased, but the tag containing the plant name and care was no longer with it. I noticed the roots were growing out of the bottom, so we separated it and re-potted it into two pots last weekend. I took one of the plants with me to school and we left the other outside on our front porch (where it had been doing well the whole summer). I've noticed that mine is getting a bit sad-looking and I'm not sure whether it's because the plant is not getting enough sunlight or whether the roots were possibly damaged when we separated it. I have been watering it regularly, but as I don't know what type of plant it is, I may be over- or under-watering it.

I don't have a digital camera, so I can't post any pictures at the moment, but I'll try to describe the plant as best as I can. The plant is somewhat similar in shape to a weeping willow tree. It has many long branches that grow upward for an inch or so and then curve downward. The leaves are tiny (approx. 1/4 of an inch) and mostly arranged in pairs. The leaves are slightly darker green than the stems. I believe it also had very small flowers when we first got it, but I can't remember what colour they were. Overall, the plant seems to look a bit like an herb, actually.

Does anyone know what this plant might be? Thank you for your help!

#82175 September 2nd, 2006 at 06:48 AM
OP Offline
I had a friend look at the plant and she thinks it might be lemon thyme. The plant does have a slight lemony scent, but I found a few pictures online of lemon thyme and my plant seems to be more "vine-y" (it has longer stems than the pictures I saw). Also, the pictures of lemon thyme I found showed lavender flowers--I can't remember correctly, but I think this one had either white or yellow.

I hope this is a bit more informative. My friend took a few pictures of it with her camera, but she won't have them up until next week or so. Thank you for taking a look at this!

Link Copied to Clipboard