This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#81918 January 25th, 2007 at 03:45 PM
The Bird Man
OP Offline
The Bird Man
As an Equal Opportunity Birder I felt I must include THIS picture to balance Jane's "For the Ladies" picture.

FOR THE GENTLEMEN
[Linked Image]

#81919 January 25th, 2007 at 04:49 PM
ooHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Beautiful.................male.

Lady or not..That is my favorite tennessee bird.

thanks thorn,
more more more......

dodge

#81920 January 25th, 2007 at 04:53 PM
HA HA
tHORN

No bird prejduce, in you.ha ha

HD says males are always the prettiest in birds.
Is that your belief?

b

#81921 January 25th, 2007 at 05:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A female blue jay is just as beautiful as a male blue jay!!!

Some species look just the same.

#81922 January 25th, 2007 at 05:34 PM
The Bird Man
OP Offline
The Bird Man
In the bird world the males ARE the most colorful of many species. This is probably because the females have evolved to become more drabber in order to sit on the nest without being noticed, thereby protecting the eggs. Males are MUCH more noticeable probably to attract females easier, and to be MORE noticeable to enemies, who will follow them away from the nest. There by protecting the females and young.

In bird species where the males are NOT more colorful than the females, The sexes are IDENTICAL or nearly so. American Robin males and females are identical, EXCEPT, SOMETIMES the males have more intense coloration while the females plummage appears a little more faded and pale. Blue Jays, Crows, Chickadees, and Timouse, have identical sexes.

In the case of some birds, example: the Red-Winged Blackbird, the sexes are SO fifferent they look like two entirely DIFFERENT species.

#81923 January 25th, 2007 at 06:07 PM
S
S
wow! i didnt know all that!

#81924 January 25th, 2007 at 06:42 PM
Thorn

MY man just gave me the same speech this morning.
I keep showing off your birds.......

Your correct....

You know your birds for sure.

Nice.

#81925 January 25th, 2007 at 07:28 PM
The Bird Man
OP Offline
The Bird Man
I have studied birds INTENSELY for 18 years now. For the last 5 years I have been retired so that is pretty much ALL I do (drives my wife CRAZY. I am always looking for new things that people have NEVER noticed before, or am ALWAYS looking for the humorous side in everything I do, ESPECIALLY birds and bird behavior.

My wife and I noticed several immature Starlings folding their wings in mid-flight and dropping to the ground, dead as a doornail one spring, about 4 years ago. I mentioned it on a worldwide website and got replies from all over Europe, Asia and other parts of the world from birders who had seen the same thing, in many cases it was IMMATURE STARLINGS!!! We figured it must be heart conditions peculiar to young Starlings but are not certain.

#81926 January 25th, 2007 at 08:26 PM
Actually I used to think they were being forced to fly......Ha ha..My opinion, only.
I did hear the moms kick the sick one out of the nest....

??

Well nothing wrong with birds and watching..

It's the birds you dont watch, that cause trouble.

ha ha
joke

#81927 January 25th, 2007 at 09:04 PM
The Bird Man
OP Offline
The Bird Man
Here is a picture of our very own Jane in her backyard on top of her table. I guess she's looking for seeds and suet scraps to eat to keep her warm. A sudden snowstorm came through and dumped an inch of snow on her house in about two hours, because at noon her yard was almost totally free of snow.

Jane at the Jane Feeder
[Linked Image]

#81928 January 25th, 2007 at 09:34 PM
thorn and jane

Welcome
To the club..Were being clobbered with about 8 inches here in Penna...None on the ground till this week.

Jane why didnt you wave at us?

;o)

#81929 January 25th, 2007 at 09:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Thorny!
Yup... It is the first time I predicted the weather by the birds. We got a surprise snow storm - it dumped an inch in less than 1/2hour. Anyway, the birds were wild and crazy this morning - there were 9 anxious male cardinals in a tiny area and 5 blue jays pecking like crazy and more close by. I thought something up... and bang snow snow snow!!

I bought this MAC to start my bird blog properly. But, so far I have not learned a dang thing! In my imagination I have a section all about what feeding central looks like. One of these days...

I love your picture. I wave at the camera all the time. So... what you see in the picture is our double wide swing set that in now bird central. I am on the steps to the platform that leads to the sliding board. Just above me and over to my right a tad is the 18 perch goldfinch feeder. I climb up there to tend to it everyday.

I love your shot because you can see our custom suspended suet feeder Look at the towards the middle of the biggest tree behind the swing set. Do you see that oblong light colored blob? That is the homemade suet feeder hubby suspended up there. I think this shot is of me going to do maintenance on it. It's a cool feeder I'll have to post pictures. Theres other feeder stuff in the picture too.

Shoot... I had picture to post and then I went and got all wordy!

#81930 January 25th, 2007 at 09:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey dodge... I wave all the time wavey

Here is a picture from today.
I let Thorny tell us all about what the little guy is up to.
[Linked Image]
I hope you see him ok?

#81931 January 25th, 2007 at 09:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
He's hard to see... He sure looked good on my 24" MAC monitor wink

#81932 January 25th, 2007 at 10:12 PM
The Bird Man
OP Offline
The Bird Man
The little guy has a Black Oil Sunflower seed and is holding it against the branch with is foot while he hammers at it Woodpecker-style with his beak to crack the outer shell so he can get at the sweet, sweet, nutmeat hidden inside. Here is Jane's picture lightened and colored enhanced to show the details better.

Titmouse Chowing
[Linked Image]

#81933 January 25th, 2007 at 10:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why - thanks for the enhancements. I can watch titmouses all day long. Some days they are my most favorite bird in the world.

I think chickadees do about the same with seeds?

Thorny, have you seen a titmouse pound on a seed in the window cam. I get such a great view from behind that camera.

#81934 January 25th, 2007 at 10:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Hey , wavey

I caught a cardinal in the window cam! [Linked Image]

I walked by today and had scare... thought there was squirrel in the window... it was a darn mourning dove! They'll eat you out of house and home just like a squirrel.

#81935 January 25th, 2007 at 10:59 PM
The Bird Man
OP Offline
The Bird Man
I watched one pounding a seed on your cam today. Chickadees do the same thing. Chickadees and Titmouses ALWAYS hang together, have the same behavior, and make similar noises. I have actually HEARD a Titmouse sing, Chickadee, chickadee, dee dee. The only thing that they apparently do NOT do together is cross-breed although there is evidence that they may have at one time in the Western U.S. where some apparent hybrids have been reported.

#81936 January 26th, 2007 at 12:22 AM
Now I see him..

Now go enchant the red one.Jane

I will wave back.

wavey

#81937 January 26th, 2007 at 01:00 AM
The Bird Man
OP Offline
The Bird Man
SNEAK-A-DEE
[Linked Image]

#81938 January 26th, 2007 at 01:44 AM
What did you do with the snow?

;o)

#81939 January 26th, 2007 at 04:31 AM
The Bird Man
OP Offline
The Bird Man
This pic was taken about an hour BEFORE the snow hit.

#81940 January 26th, 2007 at 04:40 AM
S
S
those web cams are cool! great pics!
jane
is that little bird with the red cardinal a darn mourning dove?

#81941 January 26th, 2007 at 01:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sibyl... mourning doves are glorified pigeon!
[Linked Image]
Not my favorite bird - by a long shot. They remind me of snails in fishtank. They run behind cleaning the lawn of leftover. pigeons... just pigeons.

Here is chicadee I captured - (I figured out where the camera pictures went on puter)

[Linked Image]

#81942 January 26th, 2007 at 01:39 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh
i live the reddies......I am putting all the reds on one page in my word pad......so I can look and look.

thanks your getting better.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard