This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#81013 August 20th, 2006 at 05:57 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Do datura wrightii seeds need a cold period before sowing? I'm finding conflicting information. Should I wait and sow them in spring since I'm in a frost zone?

#81014 August 20th, 2006 at 07:06 AM
Good question, Alan...you beat me to it. wink My neighbor gave me seeds the other day and I put them in an envelope and stored them in the veggie crisper of the fridge with some other seeds. I hope I'm not screwing up. lol!

#81015 August 20th, 2006 at 08:56 AM
Okay me too> I have seeds and I need to know also! Duh grinnnn

#81016 August 21st, 2006 at 12:28 AM
The Dingbat's Buddy
The Dingbat's Buddy
I've been growing a couple of different types of Daturas for a few years now Duh I've never done anything and they have always sprouted just fine thumbup In fact if you don't remove the seed pods from the plant before they open you will have little volunteers popping up.

Note of caution.....all parts of the plant are poisonous. Wash your hands after handling the flowers,leaves,seeds,etc because they can cause a skin irritation,if you have sensitive skin. I myself have never had a problem,but I know people who have.

Did I send you some,Dianne?

Hope this helps!

#81017 August 21st, 2006 at 12:55 AM
It should be noted they are also becoming quite popular for getting high (and sometimes dying) on some part of the plant...not sure which it is. Some states are starting to ban the sale of the plants\seeds.

#81018 August 21st, 2006 at 01:13 AM
The Dingbat's Buddy
The Dingbat's Buddy
There is a famous story from 1676 regarding British Soldiers and Datura.

I'll paste it here for you........

In 1676, British soldiers were sent to stop the Rebellion of Bacon. Jamestown weed (Jimsonweed) was boiled for inclusion in a salad, which the soldiers readily ate. The hallucinogenic properties of jimsonweed took affect.
As told by Robert Beverly in The History and Present State of Virginia (1705): The soldiers presented "a very pleasant comedy, for they turned natural fools upon it for several days: one would blow up a feather in the air; another would dart straws at it with much fury; and another, stark naked, was sitting up in a corner like a monkey, grinning and making mows at them; a fourth would fondly kiss and paw his companions, and sneer in their faces with a countenance more antic than any in a Dutch droll.

"In this frantic condition they were confined, lest they should, in their folly, destroy themselves - though it was observed that all their actions were full of innocence and good nature. Indeed they were not very cleanly; for they would have wallowed in their own excrements, if they had not been prevented. A thousand such simple tricks they played, and after 11 days returned themselves again, not remembering anything that had passed." Had the British not cooked the leaves,few would have survived,for the potent hallucinogens produced by "Datura" are extremely toxic
I have also read that there is a "Sacred Datura" with flowers up to 10 inches across that was/is used by the Indians of the southwest for a variety of rituals.

It's a beautiful plant that really enhances a garden. It's a shame that people have to "mistreat" it.

#81019 August 21st, 2006 at 01:28 AM
A
OP Offline
A
G-mom, do you grow them under grow light indoors ot just in a sunny window? How long does it usually take for the seeds to sprout? Thanks for your help.

#81020 August 21st, 2006 at 01:54 AM
The Dingbat's Buddy
The Dingbat's Buddy
A sunny window works great thumbup It usually takes mine about a week to pop up.

You're welcome grinnnn

#81021 August 21st, 2006 at 04:03 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by G~mom:

Did I send you some,Dianne?

Hope this helps!

Yep you sure did!! thumbup did you soak your first?? and then start them??

#81022 August 21st, 2006 at 04:38 AM
The Dingbat's Buddy
The Dingbat's Buddy
Nope...never soaked them at all. Just stick them in the pot and wait for them to pop up thumbup

#81023 August 21st, 2006 at 04:49 AM
G-Mom.... okay I'll do the same!!! You know we have had triple digit temps for 33 straight days do you think this plant could tolerate such temps especially in full sun? No telling next summer may be the same with this global warming eek

#81024 August 21st, 2006 at 09:01 AM
I planted some of my seeds from my datura plant about 3 weeks ago and still nothing!!!! I let them dry out (since June). Are the seeds still too young?

#81025 August 21st, 2006 at 12:50 PM
M
M
Just as a warning, my friend has several tree daturas (brugmansia, I think). She brings them inside over the winter and prunes them back really well first. This past fall, when she was bringing them in, some of the juice from the tree got in her eye while pruning. Her pupil completely dialated, so that there was no iris showing, and stayed like that for about three days. It was the scariest thing I have ever seen, and she also said she felt very strange for awhile...like she was woozy. Be very careful around these plants....they are beautiful, but are also very dangerous. Always wear eye protection and gloves when messing with them.

Be safe!
Melinda

#81026 August 21st, 2006 at 01:51 PM
Originally posted by mhuff:
Just as a warning, my friend has several tree daturas (brugmansia, I think). She brings them inside over the winter and prunes them back really well first. This past fall, when she was bringing them in, some of the juice from the tree got in her eye while pruning. Her pupil completely dialated, so that there was no iris showing, and stayed like that for about three days. It was the scariest thing I have ever seen, and she also said she felt very strange for awhile...like she was woozy. Be very careful around these plants....they are beautiful, but are also very dangerous. Always wear eye protection and gloves when messing with them.

Be safe!
Melinda
Thanks Melinda!! every bit of information helps I appreciate it!!

#81027 August 23rd, 2006 at 11:25 PM
I just bought a tree datura and need hints on overwintering it indoors as I live in northern NY any help would be appreciated. I grow what my mom called "angel trumpets" or thorn apples with no problem (except they are very prlific and in spring I have to weed them out, I have LOTS of seed if anyone wants it. Thanks

#81028 August 25th, 2006 at 12:03 AM
M
M
Lulusmom,
What we do with my friends tree is just cut it back so it will fit through the door, and put it near a window that gets a little sun (east, I think but not sure). The leaves will be small and a little pale, but when you bring it back out in the spring, it will be fine. Hers are in bloom right now and smell wonderful. She has also kept them in her basement which gets minimal light, and when she puts them out they do fine. The only problem is that its pot is so big now that it takes several of us to move it.
Hope this helps!
Mleinda

#81029 January 3rd, 2007 at 03:38 AM
S
S
These are beautiful plants an they are very toxic. I just throw the seeds around in the garden and get good results. My only problem is that the leaves turn yellow after blooming. Any hints??

#81030 January 4th, 2007 at 10:16 PM
I am going to start my datura seeds soon! sca Wish me luck!! laugh laugh

#81031 January 5th, 2007 at 08:54 AM
Tonya I started mine the same day as Wondereggs seeds and they came up!!

Link Copied to Clipboard