This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8082 December 9th, 2003 at 04:57 AM
F
fernboy Offline OP
OP Offline
F
What is the trick to making good biscuits? Sometimes mine don't rise enough. Help!

#8083 December 9th, 2003 at 05:08 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey Fernboy, wavey
Great name by the way!

I'd like to Welcome you to The Garden Helper's Forum!!
Glad to have you here.

We have alot of members here who I'm pretty sure can give you lot's of hints, we have alot of good cooks here, so stick around, wait a bit, read alot while you're waiting for them all to swing through.....
We have a little bit of everything here, and we've just started this section, and we have crafts and hobbies, a little bit of everything there too from~ Fish and tanks, to Cats, to Rocks, to Outter space to lot's more to come.....

Don't be afraid to ask any questions, or answer any you know the answer to from the others.....

Welcome again!!! wavey flw

Weezie

#8084 December 9th, 2003 at 04:28 PM
Hi, Fernboy,

Don't fool with the dough too much, like piecrust, if you work it too much, it'll toughen up. Knead it only a few times until you can't see loose flour. Don't roll it too thin.

Gotta tell you, this lazy old dame uses Bisquik. Foolproof every time thumbup

#8085 December 9th, 2003 at 08:50 PM
I agree Jillie, Bisquick is the best! And now they have already done the measuring for you in their little one dinner bags...so nice of them to make me even lazier! grinnnn

But if you want some other really good biscuits, and you don't mind being lazy, the Pillsbury Grands refrigerated dough are awfully good. We even convinced my hubby's granddad to use them for his famous breakfast, Stuff on a Shingle (except he uses a different word than Stuff). He makes the yummy sausage gravy and pours it on top of fresh biscuits from the oven... mmmm... so good. And I can't stand gravy on anything but when he makes it its so good. luv Must be the love... luv

#8086 December 10th, 2003 at 01:24 AM
Well let me put my two cents in about home made biscuits..At WalMart here in Texas they have home made biscuits frozen called Mary B's ..They are wonderful just like home made i promise u.. There in the frozen food section..Just take out cook what u need doesn't take long to cook..There great next time your at WalMart try them..I used the Grands before i found these biscuits.
Never could make home made i tried and tried..So i hope u try and enjoy them as much as i do..

#8087 December 10th, 2003 at 02:57 PM
Oh, Gardengal,
Sausage gravy over biscuits? Man, that brings back childhood memories. Ah, the best! grinnnn

#8088 December 10th, 2003 at 05:58 PM
I never had sausage gravy as a kid (I was a very picky eater with a very non-pushy mom) but in my husband's family it was eat what you were given or starve. So he grew up on the stuff so whenever we see his granddad, he always makes us a special breakfast. grinnnn

#8089 January 22nd, 2004 at 04:58 AM
Start with 2 cups flour, 4 tsp of baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt. Cut in 1/2 cup shortening, add 1 cup milk. Stir, knead 2 or 3 times, roll out about 1/2 inch thick, cut (makes 12) Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes.(you can also add 1 tbsp sugar in the flour if you want sweet biscuits.)

#8090 January 22nd, 2004 at 05:00 AM
Dang..Tamera....yer good!!! thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard