This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#80728 April 2nd, 2006 at 08:38 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I have two rose bushes at my new house, and I'm not sure how to take care of them since I have no idea what they are. Duh The previous owner said they were "yellow!" OK! :rolleyes:

They are two different roses. They both look like this:

[Linked Image]

but one of them has little tiny thorns, as well as "normal" thorns, up the branches.

[Linked Image]

Are these shrub roses, or floribunda, or is it a mystery until they bloom? Should I prune the heck out of them? I doubt they've had any attention in years.

Sandy

#80729 April 3rd, 2006 at 06:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i'd say prune them back a bit - especially if you think they haven't been cared for.

from the look, i'd say they haven't been pruned for a few years, so taking them down to a height of 2-3 feet should be fine. i'd leave the thicker, more established, branches a bit longer and trim the thinner (and younger) branches back to a shorter length so that they have a chance to bulk up a bit more.

#80730 April 3rd, 2006 at 08:27 AM
HI slredmond.joclyn is right they look like they have been neglected for some time to me to.Here is a link on how to best prune them back.
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/pruningroses.htm
good luck with your roses.your friend in gardening.mike57

#80731 April 4th, 2006 at 12:20 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Hmmm.. The tallest branches on these are about 5 feet tall. If they are floribunda, they should be pruned one way (center branches longer), if a hybrid tea rose they should be pruned another (out branches longer). Duh

At any rate, they need TLC!!

Link Copied to Clipboard