This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#80300 August 7th, 2006 at 03:51 AM
Jodi13 Offline OP
OP Offline
I am looking for some colorful perenials to plant on my mother-in-laws side bank to add some color to her yard. The problem is that she doesn't keep up with watering or dead heading and I only get to her house about once a week. Any suggestions?

#80301 August 7th, 2006 at 06:18 AM
D
D
I've read that moonbeam coreopsis is easy to grow/take care of. It's very pretty too, with lots of soft yellow blooms continuously!

#80302 August 7th, 2006 at 09:17 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Is that area full sun, partial shade or full shade? I'm assuming it is zone 5? For all summer blooms I'd go with an annual. They bloom longer than most perennials. And you only have to plant them once a year. I have great success with zinnia. They bloom and bloom and give lots of colors and they are great in cut flower arrangements too. Plus they develop lots of seeds that you can use to plant next year. I think it's a win win with those. And I've never really had to do anything to keep them growing.

Why don't you get some of those drip hoses and put them on a timer. Then she wouldn't have to worry about watering the flowers. It would be done automatically.

If the area is wind protected I love peonies but they only bloom for about 2 weeks in the spring and then you have to wait until next year for more blooms.

If you get the watering taken care of then once a week might be plenty of time for caring for some hardy roses. Just a thought.

#80303 August 13th, 2006 at 01:14 PM
Jodi

The Coreopsis, only blooms at the end of July ,,
Right now I have growing since spring , Green and white varigated snow on the mountain, in front and behind that is Fern Leaf Bleeding hearts.. Still blooming ..........Both perennials and long in color........Red hen and chickens........Or green.
Or if you like gold and black types.. I have Black eyed daisys, blanket plant, and Rudbeckia.. All care free.....All colors go together ......Also Mexican hat.. all perennials and easy.

dodge gab

#80304 August 13th, 2006 at 04:43 PM
My mother is up in age and is unable to care for the gardens. I planted....

-Sedum They bloom and spread to take care of the weeds. Also you can get colors that are steady all seasons.
-Semps. As dodge said there are colors in this plant also.
-Dayliles do not need to be watered or deadheaded.
Iris - Bearded, Louisiana, Sibs.
Bulbs (Daffodils, Asiatic Lilies, Oriental Lilies) This fall plant some bulbs for spring and summer blooms.

All of these once they are in you will not need to water or deadhead.

Where in PA do you live? I might be able to help you out. PM me.

#80305 August 14th, 2006 at 01:18 AM
Jodi,

I agree with cinta. I have planted 100s of bulbs in the past 2 years, and there is minimal care needed for them, check out the rhizomes also, like cannas.

I only have time to weed once a week, and I have the red mulch covering the flower bed. This is the first year I've done it, and oh my, what a difference it makes. You can see the weeds more easily, and it takes less time to actually weed. In previous years it was at least an entire day long event to weed my flower bed. This year, I can get it done in about 30 minutes! clp

#80306 August 14th, 2006 at 10:48 AM
I'm with you CajunMama, I LOVE Red mulch, helps control the weeds, and when you do get them you can see them better. I would suggest daylilies, you can get them in so many colors.

#80307 August 14th, 2006 at 12:08 PM
Jodi

Hope we were a bit helpful.

Good luck with mom.

dodge luv

Link Copied to Clipboard