This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#80148 August 28th, 2006 at 11:11 AM
M
OP Offline
M
After planting and posting "New Shade tree Plantings";I realized that while I was planting these plants;that the soil was "dry and course".There were many roots from the pear tree so planting was done in small holes mixing Miracle Gro tree and Shrub mix with the existing soil. My question is : Should I lay down a 1" to 2" layer of Mushroom Compost;not tilled into the existing soil,but used as a mulch. The instructions printed on a bag says that this is OK. To try to till any amendment into the existing bed would destroy previous plantings.I really need help here!

#80149 August 28th, 2006 at 04:38 PM
To try to till any amendment into the existing bed would destroy previous plantings.
Merrill, mushroom compost is awesome stuff and quite expensive, but I don't see any reason why you can't use it as a mulch. I'm assuming what they are referring to is the tilling of the soil which would cetainly disturb or destroy the roots of any other things you have planted there. frown frown

#80150 August 29th, 2006 at 01:13 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Patti, i think part of the problem i had earlier in the heat wave of August was a lack of mulch to help retain moisture. I wasn't able to rototil the area because of potential damage to the tree roots. i would like to start with a "finer" mulch, almost like soil, and work up to a coarser mulch such as bark chip. I'm looking for someone who has tried putting down a 1 to 2" layer of mushroom compost onto the existing bed without tilling it in;as instructions on the bag say you can do this.My existing bed is essentially just topsoil,with "tree and Shrub" planting soil mixed in to each planting.

#80151 August 29th, 2006 at 05:09 PM
i would like to start with a "finer" mulch, almost like soil, and work up to a coarser mulch such as bark chip. I'm looking for someone who has tried putting down a 1 to 2" layer of mushroom compost onto the existing bed without tilling it in;as instructions on the bag say you can do this.
Merrill, I only use my tiller when I'm starting a bed because I have clay soil eek and I could never break up the clumps of soil without my tiller, but after I have a bed established I never use the tiller on the beds anymore. frown I have an awesome hand-held garden tool made by Snow & Nealley and I use that whenever I want to ammend the soil by adding compost, peat, etc., and I don't have to worry about disturbing the roots of other plants if I'm careful!

Many people are constantly tilling up their beds but this is detrimental to maintaining healthy soil! frown Tilling can destroy soil structure by breaking the soil up into finer and finer pieces which can wash down and clog the pores so air and water cannot get through which results in poor drainage. Tilling will also destroy the organic matter in the soil and this can result in loss of nutrients. Tilling also disrupts the soil ecology because it can hurt of kill earthworms and other organisms which are necessary to maintain a healthy soil. ters

Merrill, I see no reason why you can't add the mushroom compost and work it into the topsoil with a hand tool. wink

#80152 August 30th, 2006 at 06:31 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the info Patti, that's what i'm going to do! smile

Link Copied to Clipboard