This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#79802 September 28th, 2006 at 09:04 PM
eClaire Offline OP
OP Offline
hello folks~
i was wondering if anyone had advise for pruning an out of control wiegelia, mine is growing a strange shape and got huge this year and i'd like to prune it. i think it blooms on old wood?? would it hurt the shrub if i prune it back this time of year? thanks!!

#79803 September 28th, 2006 at 10:04 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I don't have an answer to your question. But I love those plants I think they are great. So if you do prune could I arrange a trade with you for some of the cuttings? I tried to grow some this spring but I had no luck what so ever. So I want to try again. Those plants are just to pretty to pass up.

#79804 September 28th, 2006 at 10:49 PM
Me too. I'd love to try one. I don't know about this bush, but it blooms in spring right? I'd think you could trim it now. I trimmed my forsythia and other bushes.
Tho someone should know for sure.
Diane

#79805 October 1st, 2006 at 07:09 AM
D
D
I love Weigela. There so many new kinds out now. The best time to prune is after it flowers. If it is really out of control and you don't mind sacrificing some the flowers prune it now. Here is some information on Weigela:

Hortiscope

Depending on your situation you might consider removing a few large branches now and the rest after flowering.

#79806 October 1st, 2006 at 10:11 AM
I've found that plant and others like Forsythia to be hard to prune "by the book".

A bit twiggy and unpredictable.

So I just cut the old stems back quite a way and let them resprout.

Sometimes, I'll just cut half of the stems, like the tallest ones, to leave a more feathery look, and get the rest next year.

On my pruning page, I added a timetable for home gardeners who prune their own stuff.

Pruning Page >>>> Scroll to lower 2/3s of page

You will want the lower 2/3 of the page.

#79807 October 8th, 2006 at 10:52 PM
eClaire Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks guys! I would be more than willing to share cuttings with you all. PM me when you get a chance.

#79808 November 23rd, 2006 at 10:28 AM
A
A
Hi Claire,
I have planted the Wiegalia in my yard and notice in the spring that new growth sprout from the ground, not from the existing sprouts from the previous year. I have not "pruned" mine as I wanted it the grow in height over density for right now. Next year during the summer after the flowers stop blooming, I will trim the height to hopefully create more density and this is when I would recommend pruning.
Hope this works for you.
Annette

Link Copied to Clipboard