This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#79638 April 12th, 2006 at 01:28 AM
Yes Weezie...I love stuffed peppers!

#79639 April 12th, 2006 at 01:33 AM
Yep, I have done them too, mostly we eat ours in salads and omlettes and use them as a mild addition to salsa for the kiddos and people who do not like HOT salsa.

#79640 April 12th, 2006 at 02:32 AM
I
I
Hi
Wow you guys are all experts here !
I have started tomato seeds , 10 of them sprouted but I did not have the heart to separate them and all are in a 4" pot. I did start all kinds of peppers but forgot to water enough and all died
frown
Do all these vegetables need absolutely full sun. I have a patio that is on the north side but not much shaded. If there is any chance of growing peppers in that area I will buy plants from the nursery.I would love home grown peppers

#79641 April 12th, 2006 at 03:40 AM
Triss - you're making ristras?????
I'm impressed ! Wanna give us some pointers? How long do they last? The dried peppers being edible, I mean.
Ivy, I'm only a container gardener, but there are lots of nice people here who can teach you far better than I can.
Comfrey, 45 feet? Wow !
Weezie, stuffed peppers rule ! I do mine vegetarian though, with beans and chopped onion and other good stuff.

#79642 April 12th, 2006 at 03:48 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by Deborah L.:
Weezie, stuffed peppers rule ! I do mine vegetarian though, with beans and chopped onion and other good stuff.
Deborah,
You wouldn't happen to have a recipe thumbup grinnnn

#79643 April 12th, 2006 at 04:19 AM
Weezie, I call them my garbage disposal stuffed peppers, because I just add whatever is on hand and sounds good.
In a bowl I mix (per pepper) a half cup of kidney beans, some leftover rice, chopped onion, sprinkle of garlic powder, S&P, maybe some fresh chopped parsley, leftover chopped tomato, and over the top pour on some tomato sauce, like Ragu.
Or, have you tried Morning Star Farms soy crumbles? They are wonderful !!! I use them in place of hamburger in the peppers, and for spaghetti sauce too.
BTW, their veggie corndogs are so good and so amazingly like the real thing, it is incredible !

#79644 April 12th, 2006 at 09:07 AM
peppers really do like sun but they may so well with mostly sun. When are you shady Ivy?

Yep Deborah, I am making them again. The peppers dry out after several months and they can be ground up for hot pepper spice. But you have to be VERY CAREFUL when you grind them up (in a blender) cuz if you smell the dust, oh man are you in deep trouble. Speaking from experience here.

Once I get to actually making them, I will post a how to.

I will also be raosting them to freeze and making salsa to can. YUM, I can taste it all already!

#79645 April 12th, 2006 at 05:05 PM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Dave , Triss my Thai chili as well as my Caribbean chili are in 5 gallon buckets I over wintered them in the house by a window also used full spectrum lights they are about 4 foot tall and in full bloom right now also have some small fruit on them. My Jalapenos have not done well this year some of my Cayenne have come up. ust be a slow year for peppers every where.
Jimmy

#79646 April 12th, 2006 at 09:50 PM
Dave,

My boyfriend, Duane, is the pepper grower in this family. He put some of his "extra" Nocera Yellow Bells in a terra cotta pot last year with decent results. I was the one who watered for the most part because apart from that pot, all of the pots were my dwarf tomatoes. I wouldn't recommend a terra cotta pot for one thing. They heat up and dry out too much. Use a plastic 5-15 gal. bucket with 1/2" holes drilled in the bottom. We used Pro-Mix soilless container mix with water-retaining polymer gel mixed in. That formulation did wonders for very hot periods in the summer when I had to water 2x per day.

As for varieties, I think Duane is planning on putting all of his ornamentals into pots, plus some of the habs because they tend to be shorter. I think he's also hoping to bring them inside to overwinter under lights.

On the topic of germination and growth: we've learned that peppers take longer to germinate than tomatoes and once they do come up, they take their sweet time growing as well. Duane started the bulk of his peppers on Feb 25 and they're 5" tall now. I started my tomatoes on March 23 and they're 3" tall now, catching up to the peppers quickly. He used a heating mat under his pepper seed flat to help with germination and even with that, a lot of his seeds took more than 2 weeks to come up.

I hope this gives you some comfort, hang in there,
Julianna

#79647 April 12th, 2006 at 11:23 PM
Julianna,

This is not the first year I have done peppers, just the first time I have had such horrid luck with them. Last year mine did so well and the year before I successfully over wintered both serrano and jalapeno. There is just something about this year that has a lot of us seeing slow growth in our peppers.

But we are not giving up! Thanks for the encouragement.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard