This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#79608 July 5th, 2006 at 02:54 AM
OP Offline
i am setting up a 45 gallon freshwater aquarium. it is going to be a congo river biotope tank and thus far i have gathered up a list of several aquatic plants native to african rivers. however, i really want some floating plants as well.

does anyone know of some floating plants native to freshwater african rivers?

http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_african_rivers.htm

Sorathien, try this link. Sorry, I don't quite know how to post a link here, but this is its url.

Maybe you will find something here. A good read with lots of different African areas.

I have lived there, but sorry, can't remember any of my botany from there.

Hope this helps.

PS: your aquarium sounds really nice!

OP Offline
yeah, i've already read that site. its where i found a lot of my aquatic plants, but they only list two floaters, water letuce, which gets too tall (i would have to drop the water level to accomodate it) and azolla, which i already have an amazon species of, since the african one is impossible to find.

the tank is going to have ammannia senegalensis, madagascar lace, aponogeton crispus, various anubias species, Zosterella Dubia (water stargrass), and a few other minor substitutions for some amazon plants that look very similar to relatives that ARE african.

the fish are going to be a Ctenopoma Acutirostre (leopard bushfish) and about 6 congo tetras.

Link Copied to Clipboard