This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#79461 July 4th, 2006 at 12:39 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
My horseradish is on it's 3rd set of leaves is this normal in one growing season? The leaves will mature and then die and another set will come up. I don't really want to dig up the root again to check on it since I already dug it up accidently once thinking it was a weed lol. So if you have any information please let me know.

#79462 July 4th, 2006 at 12:38 PM
B
B
I have horseradish and it often dies off in extreme heat and comes back. This is normal. Archeologist that look for the original pilgrim farms look for the horse radish. It's still there. Next to impossible to kill unless you pave over it. Even then I'm not so sure.
Billbagdaddy

#79463 July 5th, 2006 at 12:27 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Thanks for the info Bill. I've never grown it before. But I certainly am getting the hot temperatures.

While we are on this subject. I bought horseradish at the store a couple of years ago and made horseradish sauce. I found the root to be so hard that it was almost impossible to grate. If I use if fresh out of the garden will it be easier to grate?

#79464 July 9th, 2006 at 04:11 PM
I have mine planted in full sun to partial shade, sorta under a willow tree. It took it awhile to start growing after transplanting it this early spring as it didn't like the cold temps we were having... I've heard it doesn't like below freezing and you should dig it up, store some root and replant in the spring as the root will get woody. The plant I sent you is from some that is 10 years old that was growing in a very hot desert climate. As far as grating it, I would think a fresh root would be easier to grate than one in the store, lol! Mine hasn't grown the leaves like you mentioned, probably because it's not in full sun.

#79465 July 9th, 2006 at 10:45 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
So late fall I dig it up and use some but leave 8 to 10 inches on it and store that in the crisper until the following spring? Then plant it? I'm looking forward to fall to see how it has done.

#79466 July 10th, 2006 at 10:58 PM
here's a site with a bit of basic info re the horseradish TK. http://www.greenharvest.com.au/plants/horseradish_info.html

#79467 July 11th, 2006 at 12:45 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
That article seems to say that I can leave it in the ground. I am in zone 7. Maybe I should take a piece of the root indoors and keep it in the crisper and leave some out and see how it does.

I look forward to trying that recipe for horseradish. That looks to be the one for creamy horseradish. The other recipe I have is for regular horseradish and it isn't all that great.

Thanks for the info Longy.

Link Copied to Clipboard