This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#79362 August 5th, 2006 at 05:40 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Dear all,
I just bought a bright Red Japanese Maple tree - 4 foot tall. It was propagated from other big one (by cut and wrapping soil on that cut) and almost 4 months old now. Gentleman who sold it to me said I have to wait until this Sept for planting.
Before I plant it on ground I need some information and advices:
The location I choose for my Japanese Maple is near to garden pond edge. Pond depth is 2 feet, on the North.
North side of Japanese Maple's location is 4'x6' pond. and cedar hedge is 8 feet away as wind break.
West side, North-West, South-West side: patio stone away 1 foot from Japanese Maple.
South and South-East: Grass.
North-East: rose garden is away 5 feet from Japanese Maple.

1. Is this location suitable for my Japanese Maple ?
or any advice.
2. How tall and width this Japanese Maple can growth.
3. If it will be tall how can I trim to control its heigth.
4. I live in Ottawa, Canada. How I can protect it in the cold winter ?
Any advice will be appreciated.
Cheers.

#79363 August 8th, 2006 at 08:31 AM
Hi NatureLover,

Grown in zones 5-8, red Japanese maples reach a height of 30" with a spread of 20". plant in full to partial sun and well-drained soil. It should be planted in the spring or fall. I live in Ajax and I usually cover it once all the leaves have fallen.

Hope this helps

#79364 October 22nd, 2006 at 04:15 AM
L
L
Hello - what species of japanese maple is it, do you know? We've got a Trompenburg, and have also planted Bloodgoods . . .

#79365 October 24th, 2006 at 08:30 PM
R
R
There are many species of japanese maple so that will determine the height/width - I have three myself clp I have found that they like protected areas, you want a little bit of a windbreak - mine are all near the house, I mulch it well and put tree tape on the base come winter so the critters won't eat them.

#79366 October 29th, 2006 at 11:41 PM
D
D
Originally posted by NatureLover:
<snip...>
North side of Japanese Maple's location is 4'x6' pond. and cedar hedge is 8 feet away as wind break.
West side, North-West, South-West side: patio stone away 1 foot from Japanese Maple.
South and South-East: Grass.
North-East: rose garden is away 5 feet from Japanese Maple.
That area sounds a little tight for a full sized Japanese Maple especially for the patio. It sounds more like a spot for a Weeping Japanese Maple. If you keep after them, they can be quite vigorous, they respond well to pruning. Japanese Maples do well around ponds and the cedars should provide a nice foil to the red foliage but depending on the size of you patio that seems a little close.

Link Copied to Clipboard