This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#79223 September 17th, 2006 at 08:26 PM
T
T
Back in early May, I planted 4 6" watermelon plants. I think they're sugar babies. growing on a hill, well mulched, there are 3 melons, which get turned every few days.

I set the harvest date for Aug 29 (80 days post planting). Three weeks ago, I cut off the trailing vines below where the watermelons were growing. My hope was to put more energy to the fruit. Now, it's Sept 17 and they're still growing on the vine and don't seem "ready."

I'm so envious of all your harvests!!

What's the latest I can harvest? Is there a "thump test?"

#79224 September 18th, 2006 at 06:27 AM
MrClint Offline OP
OP Offline
There are a number of ways to determine ripeness in a melon:

* Dried tendril and/or leaves closest to the melon.
* Dull not shiney rind.
* Yellow or creme color on the resting spot. It shouldn't be white.
* Ridges and dips on the rind where the stripes appear.
* Thump test. The thump test I use is the same one I use in the supermarket. You want a "punk" sound and not a "pink" sound. The former being more hollow.

#79225 September 19th, 2006 at 06:26 PM
T
T
Thank you, MrClint smile

* Dried tendril and/or leaves closest to the melon.
Not yet
* Dull not shiney rind.
In between!
* Yellow or creme color on the resting spot. It shouldn't be white.
I've been turning them so no spot
* Ridges and dips on the rind where the stripes appear.
None
* Thump test. The thump test I use is the same one I use in the supermarket. You want a "punk" sound and not a "pink" sound. The former being more hollow.
Pink!

Guess we're not ready, hey? I suppose if we had more sun and way less rainy days this summer, they would have gotten larger than a muskmelon. Was it a bad idea to cut the excess vines below the fruit?

#79226 September 20th, 2006 at 12:49 AM
You've all gotten me in such a watermelon mood that I caved in and bought a store one yesterday.
Really good, but sure makes me wonder what a real homegrown watermelon would taste like.
Does refrigerating one ruin it, like refrigerating tomatoes does? Or, is the melon even better chilled?

#79227 September 21st, 2006 at 12:16 PM
MrClint Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm not a melon expert by any means, so I can only give you my opinion.

The plant is going to turn the sun's energy into sugars for the melon, so more leaves and vines should add more sweetness. I just let my vines go wild.

You've got to chill a melon. There is no way around it. They seem to gain flavor by chilling.

#79228 September 21st, 2006 at 06:45 PM
T
T
Agreed! Chilling brings out the sweetness. I went ahead and harvested the first of three watermelons last night. After drawing faces on it like a pumpkin, I cut it open. Yech! Tasted very veggie like and it certainly was not ready frown

There's always next year!

#79229 September 21st, 2006 at 09:36 PM
OK, yes, I like watermelon icy cold and crisp too.
Just wondered if chilling them affects the flavor adversely. Like it does tomatoes.
Wonder if people kept them in ice houses in the times before refrigeration?
I wish I had thought to ask my Grandma that, and lots of other things. Our seniors are our treasure, in my opinion. How incredibly wealthy I was....

#79230 October 12th, 2006 at 09:53 AM
I found out what that spray is for melons that fall off. It's blossom set. Saw it in the Burpee site.
Anyone tried it?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard