This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#79065 April 4th, 2006 at 11:47 AM
S
StacyH Offline OP
OP Offline
S
HI all, I'm new to the group. I have had my aloe plant since last year and it has grown to the point it is leaning over. It has yet to produce one baby. I had an aloe a few years ago that shot them off like crazy. Should I cut off the top? If I do, can I root it somehow to make another plant? Any help is appreciated.

Stacy

#79066 April 4th, 2006 at 12:30 PM
Hi Stacy! wavey

Welcome to the Forum! I don't think cutting off the top will do any good. I've never had to deal with that because all the aloe plants I've ever had have multiplied like rabbits. laugh It's so nice to meet you and you're going to love kit

#79067 April 4th, 2006 at 09:53 PM
wavey hi there,

welcome to the forum...

nice to meet you thumbup
enjoy flw flw flw

#79068 April 5th, 2006 at 05:58 AM
S
StacyH Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the welcome. I do have it in a root bound pot. I was thinking, I have it in regular potting mix. Since I have known, my Mom has always kept the aloe in reg potting mix. Should I change it? It's driving me crazy that's it so huge but no babies. lol.

Stacy

#79069 April 7th, 2006 at 01:28 AM
M
M
Aloe vera (there are about 450 species of aloe) comes in 2 forms, one gets quite large with very thick, dark green leaves, and almost never offsets, the other stays shorter, has light green spotted leaves, and offsets heavily. Maybe you have the first type. However, if it's starting to lean over, something else is going on. Either it's not an aloe vera or it's not getting enough sun. How many hours of direct sunlight a day does it get?

#79070 April 10th, 2006 at 09:37 AM
S
StacyH Offline OP
OP Offline
S
It is an aloe, no doubt and it is by a window. It doesn't get direct light but it does get light all day. It does have big thick leaves but I had one of those before that my Mom brought up from Florida and it shot off babies. Unfortuantly my roommate killed it while I was in the hospital. It's leaning I'm sure because of the weight because it looks very healthy.

Stacy

#79071 April 10th, 2006 at 12:13 PM
M
M
It wants sun!!! Direct sun for as long as you can give it (it'll need some aclimating). These plants are native to the Canary Islands just west of Morocco. If you want it to be healthy, give it sun.

#79072 May 7th, 2006 at 09:35 AM
hay-lo! I'm new too, but I'll agree on the sun. It needs a lot, but if it gets too much it'll let you know (bleaching!) Also, I've had to replant aloe several times a year once it gets top heavy.... it pulls itself out of the soil. I have one that I was very successful with cutting the main root (it became so long and top heavy that it wouldn't stay in a pot!)and putting it in regular potting soil with a little vermiculite and it shoots off tons of babies. Good luck!

Link Copied to Clipboard