This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#79051 January 31st, 2006 at 08:41 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
The roots from that pine tree have over taken the ground up there. It would be extremely hard to dig a hole for the bushes. I was thinking about putting the bushes in our back yard near our garage.

I'm not worried about the slope washing away. I have ALOT of seeds that are going to be planted on the hill. It should be ok.

#79052 January 31st, 2006 at 10:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are the plants going to stay there during the winter?? Or are you going to plant pansies in winter?? I mean if there is nothing there during winter then you might have some erosion problems during winter..It would be nice if you could terrace it..That would resolve the erosion problem.

My hill is a lot steeper than that...During winter it has eroded down to the rocks, and roots of the tree that is there...I have left it for so long...I have some hosta planted there and a ground cover rose <that is not doing well> There is Iris and daffodils in there too from before I lived here..And I think some day lilies..<that never bloom I think because there is not enough dirt>>. At least you have dirt...I will run out there and take a picture of it...today some time...And post it later..

I have been avoiding doing anything with it because everytime I try I get poison ivy BAD.

This spring I am going to dig out the hosta, and other usable plants, move them to the back yard and try to get periwinkle to cover it. So I do not have to do anything but trim the periwinkle and rake it now and then.

It also has wild stuff growing..It is a mess...
I have wanted to spray round-up to kill everything but there is a tree there and I do not want to kill the tree..Plus the iris' are the OLD kind VERY LOVELY..<<<<my house is built on an old homeplace>>>I dug up a lot or the Iris last year, and transplanted it...I have to wait til they come up again to see if there are any more out there on the <<evil hill>>...I did get down weed block on half of the hill last year. I had to stop half way through because of the poison IVY...<<sigh>>> I hope I can get done what I want to do this year on that area..Before the poison ivy gets me and deters me again..

#79053 February 1st, 2006 at 12:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Evil Hill...See why I think Periwinkle is the best solution for this???

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#79054 February 1st, 2006 at 02:40 AM
R
R
NO, NO, NO, Qui!! You are thinking about this all wrong!! This is not a bad sight but one filled with possibilities!!

I see boulders staggered up the hill, planting of hosta, sedums, phlox, carpet type plants. Another perfect spot for a rock garden.

This might be a genetic defect in me!! I guess no matter where or how flat a yard my Papa brought in dirt and rocks and made a rock garden. I have the gene!!

#79055 February 1st, 2006 at 02:53 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I know you've got a "GREAT EYE FOR IT" Rue!!!
I can see it too..

Only one small thing I see,
What is that pole and white pole with orange on it??

I agree with Rue...

I could see a rock garden all the way up the drive and too the garage....and make them all
plants that like forrest floor type...
***One's that can withstand leaves falling on them
and being still able to poke their heads up thru it the following spring
ie: bulbs, columbines, foxgloves..

#79056 February 1st, 2006 at 03:20 AM
R
R
It looks like an electic line. That can be worked around.

We have a place you call and for free they come out and spray paint where the lines run so you don't hit them when you dig.

#79057 February 1st, 2006 at 09:11 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Oui, I wanted to originally terrace it, but its just not going to happen.

I'm planning on just cutting off the plants for the winter and letting just the bottoms in the soil. We have a hill in the back yard as well and thats what we do to those plants and the hill doesn't erode.

#79058 February 1st, 2006 at 07:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The pole is a utility pole and the little pole with orange on it is a underground power line, or some kind of utility box.

I know I need to call the utility company to come and mark it. There is a trench <about 2ft deep>> that runs straight back from that pole. I swear it is the power line trench that never got filled in..

It is hard to see because of the grass N other mess...But it is there...yep a trench...

I love your ideas Rue. I had the same optimism
when I moved here..I did plant the hosta and ground cover rose...But getting poison oak deterred my enthusiasm. <<I am very allergic to poison ivy>> I just want it to stay green all year...and look flat and not need to be mowed, or watered or weeded, because of the poison ivy.....

#79059 February 1st, 2006 at 07:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hisgal I can't wait to see how it turns out...

#79060 February 1st, 2006 at 07:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is my neighbors driveway and the utility pole marks the lot line...My house is the one on the right. Not the Far right but with the green shutters.

I thought about putting a white picket fence along the lot line there. Maybe someday.

This year I am going to try to fix the evil hill...change out my front flower gardens and make a flower garden in the back with all the plants I move from the front...And add some bird attracting trees to the wild part of my back yard....That is it...A little at a time. I will start a new topic with pictures from the area in back that I want to fix...it is wild too..You all can give me ideas for that...

#79061 February 2nd, 2006 at 08:48 AM
R
R
Oui I have a lot of allergies and have taken antihistamines for years.

I get poison ivy but usually just a small amount and I wonder if it is because I am loaded up with the antihistamines.

Maybe your MD could prescribe something for you to take.

#79062 February 3rd, 2006 at 09:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah I get Steroids when ever I get Poison Ivy and that works...But then I get paranoid of "the evil hill" after that..Maybe I am just lazy..And the Poison Ivy is my excuse..

#79063 February 4th, 2006 at 04:52 AM
N
N
I'd bet maintaining that slope comes with either a strained back or heart,or both, depending on your health.
Go the low-maintenance route. This is a job for ground cover juniper:

[Linked Image]
juniperus horizontalis.

Google Images provides a wide range of juniper species to choose from.

This is what I'd use.

#79064 February 4th, 2006 at 05:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes that is why I call it THE EVIL HILL...I already decided on the Vinca Minor..it is low maintenance and evergreen down here. It is also good at tipping the riding mower over if you are not driving fast enough..

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard