This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#78803 July 19th, 2006 at 06:11 PM
Mandi Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay.. wondering a couple of things with my veggie garden:
1. With corn, do you have to detassel it like we used to do to field corn in high school for a summer time job?
2. Should I be doing something unique with my cantelope and squash or just letting them "do their thing"?
Thanks for the help!! flw

#78804 July 19th, 2006 at 09:41 PM
S
S
Hi Mandi,

I don't see any reason you would have to detassel corn in your garden, just pick the ears when they are ready and let the stalks die off at the end of the year. The only reason I know of to detassel corn is to prevent cross polination with different types of corn (field and sweet for example). Others on this great forum may have more insight.

With my squash and pumpkins I have, I let them do their thing (no melons so I can't say). They take up a huge area, but I have had some tremendous squash. I try my best to keep the weeds down, but mine are so spread out and the leaves so huge they block most of the sun for the weeds. They have spread out more than my garden are into the surrounding weeds. Beautiful plants!

I spent a few summers working corn and beans in Iowa back in HS (many years ago now) so just wondering where you are from in Iowa.

Good luck!!

Shawn

#78805 July 20th, 2006 at 04:37 AM
Mandi Offline OP
OP Offline
My hubbie and I just moved to Iowa...Glenwood area.. but I grew up in Nebraska where detasseling corn was THE job to have..I HATED IT!! so Im glad to hear that I dont have to do it in my garden!! flw

#78806 July 20th, 2006 at 04:50 AM
Yes detasseling is to prevent cross pollination and is done all over in the large fields of Nebraska. My son worked in the fields last summer when we were living there and he hated it as well. Good money though for young kids.

#78807 July 20th, 2006 at 01:16 PM
D
D
lol detassling is how i baught my first car. . . a 79 camaro WOOT WOOT!!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard