This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#78547 June 7th, 2006 at 02:28 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Hello everyone, hoping you could give me some advice on small "sweet" ants in tomato plant pots.

We currently have 9 plants in 5-gallon buckets and the ants are all over the soil, making homes in the pots!! Is it possible they could damage the roots or leaves at all?? If so, what can I do about it?? They aren't crawling all over the leaves too bad, just in the soil, but there are MANY of them. After battling BER for months last year, I'm really hoping to get a lot of tomatoes this year. The plants are doing extremely well, as long as the ants don't hurt them everything will be fantastic!

Thanks in advance for your expertise on this subject wink

#78548 June 7th, 2006 at 06:09 AM
If you soak the pots in a tub of water for 10 minutes or so, the ants will move on. Repeat once a week instead of normal watering if you like. They won't directly damage the plants but the fact they're there suggests it's a dry spot for them.

Link Copied to Clipboard