This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#77712 September 12th, 2006 at 11:15 PM
debnoel Offline OP
OP Offline
I know that mums have to be pinched back when they come back in the spring. I keep pinching them until about the middle of July and they do fine. Do you have to do the same thing to hardy asters? I have never done asters before and they are so pretty I want to make sure I don't kill them by doing the wrong thing in the spring.

#77713 September 13th, 2006 at 01:24 AM
A
A
If you want your asters to be bushy and flower more, then yes you should pinch them back. There are some cultivars that will get quite tall if you leave them be, which can look nice in the middle or back of the border.

#77714 September 13th, 2006 at 07:11 AM
You have to pinch back mums? I've never touched mine and they are like 3 or more feet tall and just starting to bloom. What do you mean by pinch them back? Cut them down in the spring? I have 6 asters this year, so I'm interested too on how to care for them.

#77715 September 13th, 2006 at 09:58 AM
debnoel Offline OP
OP Offline
When you pinch them back in the spring and early summer, they bet bushy and full. Mine are beginning to bloom now. They are bushy with lots of buds. You don't cut them all the way down, just pinch the tops so they are forced to put energy into producing more plant. I stop pinching in the middle of July so the buds will begin to form. I too am addicted to plants etc. I have to tell myself to "walk away from the bulbs." Last year I picked up a bag here and a bag there and before you know I had over 150 bulbs to plant! I was kicking myself, until spring came and the bulbs came up and bloomed.

#77716 September 13th, 2006 at 05:31 PM
Patty, another purpose for pinching back Mums is to prevent early blooms. They will start setting buds late spring, early summer and you are faced with letting them bloom on or pinching them back about once a month for a couple of months to allow them to bloom in the fall. Some Mum cultivars get so large and floppy, it's best to keep them pinched back early in their season to insure they are bushier and less gangly. (Is that a word? wink )

#77717 September 14th, 2006 at 07:51 AM
I've always pinched my mums back until about July 15th to make them fuller and bushier. wink This is the first time I've ever asters, and fortunately, the people at the nursery told me to pinch them back the same way and for the same reason you do it to mums! However, on one of them, I think perhaps I should have pinched it back a little more. Duh Well, I'll know better next year! wink

#77718 September 14th, 2006 at 08:26 AM
I'm lost. Duh

I haven't pinched my mums - ever, but they are rather large, and my asters - which are new this year, I didn't pinch them either and they are just starting to bloom and are very pretty. Should I pinch them back next spring and see if they look any different - even though I really like them and they look like they are suppose to now?

#77719 September 14th, 2006 at 01:02 PM
Some Mum cultivars get so large and floppy, it's best to keep them pinched back early in their season to insure they are bushier and less gangly. (Is that a word? )
Rosie, I agree with you about the large and floppy mums, Duh Besides, I've always lived by the adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"! laugh laugh Geesh, if you like what you have why change it. Duh I don't think you're doing them any harm by letting them grow the way you like them.

#77720 September 14th, 2006 at 06:01 PM
PattyM, you may never have to pinch back your Mums and Asters to prevent early blooming because your gardening zone is cooler and your bloom season shorter than ours. wink Some of the newer Mum cultivars are just naturally bred to be nice and full without the pinching. It all depends on the type and your zone. Now, have I managed to confuse your further? If so, I consider my work done for the day. laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard