This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#77599 July 21st, 2006 at 06:07 PM
Zenith Offline OP
OP Offline
Is this normal?, I re-potted it as it had been a bit neglected for a while.
So at the nursery while buying the correct potting mix I had him take a look he said it was normal just regrowth from damage etc. it was late afternoon so I'm not sure in the light if he noticed the dots like mealy bug or something on it or not.

What is it? Is this normal as at the nursery I was told.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#77600 July 21st, 2006 at 11:12 PM
M
M
I have heard that called 'corking.' It is a normal responce to some irritant/damage, unsightly, will never heal, and doesn't bother the plant at all. All kinds of things can cause it; bugs (I see no obvious sign of mealies in your pic, check at or below the soil line), bug spray, fertilizer in overhead water, my extremely hard water has corked a few of mine, sunburn will sometimes leave this, lots of things... If you can figure out what caused it, stop doing that (duh!). Give it the best conditions you can and the new growth should be clean.

#77601 July 21st, 2006 at 11:22 PM
Zenith Offline OP
OP Offline
Well what must have caused it is this is it was in a pot full of garbage from a gum tree other weeds etc. were growing in the pot.
I replanted it in some good cacti mix and a better pot so it's much better off now and getting more sun before it was in the shade a bit too much I think.

It's not looking to bad in the new pot I think and its sure to be much better off now smile

Here's a picture of my two Barrel cactus [Linked Image]

The other one need replanting to, small pot and it was retaining way to much water.
So both of them should grow much better now grinnnn

Give it the best conditions you can and the new growth should be clean.
Done grinnnn

(I see no obvious sign of mealies in your pic, check at or below the soil line)
I didn't see anything when I replanted it

#77602 August 3rd, 2006 at 12:33 PM
zenith

They are adorable..........
I think it might be the way they age..
I have a bunch around , some I grew from seed .. Just been in the same pot for many moons.. Look great to me.

dodge flw

#77603 August 4th, 2006 at 09:47 PM
Zenith Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello dodge wavey

They both seem happy enough in the new pots smile seem to be getting healthier now the weather is slowly warming up.
I imagine when the long hot summer is in full swing that I will see a positive result of replating and repositioning them in a better spot with more sun and on the up side doing it now they have time to adjust where as if I did it in summer they wouldn't as much.

#77604 August 4th, 2006 at 11:45 PM
zenith

cactus loves to be crowded.....I mix sand into mine and havent moved them in ages.

will find a photo.

dodge

Link Copied to Clipboard