This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#77431 April 2nd, 2006 at 07:14 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Please help! I just watered my plants and my big 4 foot plant in the living room had little black bugs coming out of it. Any suggestions as to what I can do?
Thanks,
Gail

#77432 April 2nd, 2006 at 08:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Gail,

Can you describe the bugs? Size, wings, location, etc.

#77433 April 3rd, 2006 at 06:42 AM
G
OP Offline
G
They are small- they remind me of fleas. They flew out of the plant when I watered it. They have what look like see through wings. I don't seem to see any of the bugs on the plant itself, just in the soil.
Thanks, Will.
Gail

#77434 April 3rd, 2006 at 09:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gail,

Sounds like you have fungus gnats. Adult fungus gnats fly around and are an annoyance, but they are not harmful to people. Each gnat lives for about 5 days. The trick is to get rid of the next generation - the gnat larvae that live in the top layer of the soil. The larvae feed on decaying organic matter. Decaying pine bark in potting mixes and decaying plants roots feed the larvae. Try to keep the soil as dry as possible. Remove all loose soil from the surface and put a light layer of coarse coir (coconut husk) or sand or diatomaceous earth on the soil surface. These substances have sharp edges that carve up the larvae. (Recent studies indicate that fine-textured peat moss also deters gnat larvae.)

Another safe technique is to place ½ inch slices of raw potato on the surface of the soil. After a day or so, discard the slices along with the larvae inside. Repeat this until there are no more larvae in the potato.

Detection trick: Add a little water to the soil and then look very closely for tiny fungus gnat larvae swimming in the water as it pools on the surface. You need good light and good eyes to see them. If you don't, then your plant is probably gnat free.

Prevention is often the best remedy. Use sterile potting mixes that are free of bark chips. The potting mix should have ample drainage material, such as perlite so that it drains well and allows the soil to dry out frequently. Fungus gnats can nearly always be traced back to overwatering and/or poor soil quality.

#77435 April 4th, 2006 at 06:34 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Thank you! I will post back in a few days and let you know how we did.
Gail

#77436 April 11th, 2006 at 07:10 AM
G
OP Offline
G
I think they are gone! Will, I used the potatoes and then did water and I don't see anymore eggs. So hopefully they are gone. I've also isolated that plant from my others, so hopefully nothing else is infected. I did an inspection of them all and they appear to be bug free.
Thaks for your wonderful advice,
Gail

#77437 April 11th, 2006 at 07:25 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Will (the punk) is gone too! frown

Link Copied to Clipboard