This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#76932 June 4th, 2006 at 07:28 AM
M
McNan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi. I live in northern Maine so I start my tomatoes down cellar to get a headstart on the season. This year though, they're acting different. The plants have grown great and look fine except the lower leaves are turning yellow and/or orange. I've been using liquid Miracle Gro half strength when I water. Can anyone tell me what's happening?

Thanks a lot.

#76933 June 4th, 2006 at 09:32 AM
D
D
i too started from seed indoors but only 1 month prior to planting. And let me tell you. . . i used all the same variety and 2/4 the firstleaves turned yellow/orange. I actually went as far as snipping one set off, of course asking here first smile I dont think anything of harm will come to it, i had the same thing and only 1 out of 4 plants died from transplanting outside! clp

I think you'll be fine, though i will say that i never once used fert until the day of transplanting where i used 1/2 strength solely to overcome shock. though everyone here has told me to use seaweed fertilizer. I promptly put seaweed fert. on them and they look fantastic after 1 week of being in the ground!

#76934 June 5th, 2006 at 12:43 AM
M
McNan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Super! If the rain ever stops, I hope to get these guys in the ground soon. Thanks for the moral support!

#76935 June 5th, 2006 at 07:30 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Have you started to harden them off yet???
They really should be outside by now,
at least in the air, learning how to regulate
their plant bodies in the outside conditions...

Mine aren't in the ground yet, but I have them outside learnin' their ways...

#76936 June 5th, 2006 at 12:56 PM
J
J
If they are otherwise looking fine, I wouldn't worry about the lower leaves. Just pinch them off. How often are you fertilizing? Even half strength, you should really only be feeding them every couple weeks. Good luck. What kind are you growing BTW?

Link Copied to Clipboard