This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#76713 May 18th, 2006 at 10:13 AM
A
Andi Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Well I'm back but this time I've seen the actual shrub my sister in law is looking for. Sometime ago I posted needing identification of a white flowering shrub that her Mother use to call a wedding bush. Some of you thought that perhaps she was remembering a Bridal Wreath Spirea. Though that is a much more attractive and more fragrant shrub/bush, the bush she is talking about has thicker branches with 2 inch thorns. Not sure how she could have left that detail out but none the less she did. In addition to the thorns, the shrub has small bouquets of tiny white flowers. Does anyone know the name of this shrub? Duh

#76714 May 18th, 2006 at 11:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
andi, could you take a pic (or have your sis do so) and post it?

pics really help when trying to identify things smile

#76715 May 18th, 2006 at 11:04 PM
Your sister is looking for "Bridal Wreath". That is the name of the bush, we have one growing in our yard. smile
Here is some pictures of the plant I'm talking about.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The technical name for these plants are:
'Bridal Wreath Spiraea'
Ali

P.S. Edit...I'm sorry, wrong bush. This is what happens when it's 5:45 in the morning and your kids are awake and fighting already. Sorry.

#76716 May 19th, 2006 at 01:18 AM
R
R
is it Philadelphus lewisii ?

a 'wild mock orange' that is thorny

#76717 May 20th, 2006 at 07:42 AM
A
Andi Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I wish I could take a picture but it is in Maryland and I'm in PA. The wild mock orange ... do the branches on it remind you of a rose bush but grow similar to forsythia, long and flowing? The flower looks much like that of a Bridal Wreath but the branches quarter of an inch thick. Are there several types of Bridal Wreath. As I said it had 2 inch thorns on it and they were thick.

#76718 May 20th, 2006 at 08:30 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'm probably wrong but could it be a wild single bloom rose bush? Or are the flowers spaced wrong on that one?

I didn't know there was a wild mock orange bush. It sure looks pretty. That is some pH range on those 5 to 8?

#76719 June 4th, 2006 at 09:53 AM
J
J
I bought a house about 2 years ago and this just bloomed in my yard also. I didn't know if it was a rose bush or not since I had never seen the bloom on it. Any idea on how big it will get, or how long in bloom? it is right in the middle of my flower bed and its only about 21/2 foot tall so far, but it has a lot of blooms on it. Thank You

#76720 June 6th, 2006 at 04:52 AM
A
Andi Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Whelp, found the bush for those of you who were wondering what happened. It's a spirea, but not as pretty as the bridal spirea. Was shopping at a Produce Market and got stuck with one of it's thorns ... it wouldn't let go of my pant leg so I was forced to purchase it. Anyway, my sister in law delighted when I gave it to her. Thanks for all the input and sending me in the right direction.

Andi laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard