This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7641 September 10th, 2005 at 01:59 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Hi all my name is Bill.
I am new to the forums.
I need a pickle recipe, that last for a long time because I am a locomotive Engineer. I don't have to to check on pickles to often.

So does anyone have a recipe for sour dill pickles that last a long time?

Thankyou for your help.

#7642 September 10th, 2005 at 08:15 PM
I don't know very much, but I found this recipe. It says that they will last for at least 6 weeks. Hope this helps. ...no cooking either!

Fresh-Packed Refrigerator Dill Pickles

10-14 whole pickling cucumbers, approximately 2 inches, scrubbed
3 sprigs dill
2 cloves garlic
½ cup fresh lemon juice
Cold water

1. Pack sterilized jar with the cucumbers, dill and garlic, alternating layers, leaving ¼ inch headspace.

2. Pour lemon juice over cucumbers and fill jar with cold water.

3. Seal and refrigerate. These will keep at least 6 weeks.

#7643 September 12th, 2005 at 08:26 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Thankyou, I would have posted a day or so ago but I just got off my shift.(I was in Redding California)

I was hoping for a recipe that took maybe a few months to pickle and could last in to the years if un opened. Is there a way to do that?

#7644 September 13th, 2005 at 10:35 PM
I will do some more looking for you. I don't do pickling, so I feel like the blind leading the blind here!!! laugh

#7645 September 27th, 2005 at 04:36 PM
L
L
This is what I like for dill pickles. You can use 2 tsp. dried dill seed or dill weed instead of fresh dill. You will need to can them in a boiling water bath. As for keeping for years, that is too long for any pickle. If they seem too tart, add a bit of sugar. You need the full amount of vinegar to be safe.
Kosher Dill (Heinz Recipe)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 lbs pickling cukes
14 cloves garlic, peeled & split
1/4 cup salt
3 cups distilled or apple cider vinegar( 5% acidity )
3 cups water
12-14 sprigs fresh dill weed
28 peppercorns

Wash cucumbers; cut in half lengthwise. Combine garlic and next 3 ingredients; heat to boiling. Remove garlic and place 4 halves into each clean jar, then pack cucumbers, adding 2 sprigs of dill and 4 peppercorns. Pour hot vinegar solution over cucumbers to within 1/2 inch of top. Immediately adjust covers as jar manufacturer directs. Process 10 minutes in BWB. Makes 6-7 pints.

Other than this type of quick pickle, you can make fermented ones, but you need to be around to check on them. Some of them can be kept in the fridge once fermented for a few months.

Link Copied to Clipboard