This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#75961 February 2nd, 2006 at 05:05 AM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm wondering here for those on the Gulf of Mexico coast..what types cherry tomatoes you've grown& how they did.I got hot humid SE TX.I run into the problem they stop produceing when temps are over 90s& that kinda ranges from June- Sept& may& oct are possible....but not last year. I seen 1 type at the store.cherry jubilee. I know I still have time to buy some,But for now have just bought 1 better boy & 1 early girl& if they'd not have blossoms.I would have waited& I was the 1st person to get to pick.

#75962 February 8th, 2006 at 12:23 AM
S
S
Njoynit,

Cherry tomatoes in and of themselves are very easy to grow. I've heard that folks in some very hot/humid areas like Sydney, Australia and Houston use shade cloth for their tomatoes during the worst part of the summer with good results. You might try growing determinate (shorter plants) or dwarf cherry tomatoes in pots that can be moved during these harsher parts of the summer. Cherry tomatoes still produce fairly well even in dappled sunlight. We had a yellow pear cherry tomato that grew 5' long in a hanging basket under a cherry tree. That plant had no business growing that large in a basket containing 1 gallon of soil, but it did and I didn't ask questions.

Good luck,
Julianna

#75963 February 8th, 2006 at 03:19 PM
njoynit, Hi !! I grow lots of cherry tomatoes here in India and that too in real high temps but they do just fine and I donot need no shading for it. The temps here touch about 35 degree Celsius which is way over 100 deg F ... I plant thousands of them and the variety is by a local seed company so I don't think that you wud get them over there ...

I'm sure there are a lot of varities that you get there that shud meet ur requirements .

Cheers

#75964 February 15th, 2006 at 05:42 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by Sorellina:
use shade cloth for their tomatoes during the worst part of the summer with good results. Julianna
I am going to have to look into that for my raised beds.. they get soooo hot and I wonder about it being toooooo hot for them..

#75965 February 15th, 2006 at 09:21 PM
J
J
Sungold(F1)!

#75966 February 21st, 2006 at 01:21 AM
S
S
Hehe johnCT, I like the way you think ;o)

Sungold is the only hybrid I grow..yessssss, Weezie, I grow ONE hybrid, lol. I'm not a complete heirloom purist ;oP

xoxo,
Julianna

Link Copied to Clipboard