This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I have a hibiscus tree that is close to 8 ft tall. I have it in a 20 gal. pot. It was almost to tall for my greenhouse last year, but got it in there anyway. Now this year it is really to tall. I know I have read not to prune until spring, but I really need to do something before fall. Would it be alright to trim it back now in Aug. then by doing it now it would have at lease 2 months before it would be going in the gh. My GH is 7 ft. in the middle of it. I am only wanting to trim the limbs on the top. angell

I am curious about this too as I also have an 8 ft hibiscus and I keep mine in my house over winter. The thing has gotten WIDE too. Last winter it had 2 full spectrum lights on it and a mister. I wasn't nearly this big last year.

Oops! IT wasn't this big last year. p

OP Offline
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l...e1.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch2

Here is a picture of my Hibiscus tree that needs to be trimmed up somewhat.

OP Offline
I forgot to add that it has at lease 25 to 40 blooms on it everyday. I got it from Dillons last year around the middle of summer, they were having it on a close out. Got it for $5. It even bloomed through the winter, in the GH.

It is beautiful. What do you feed it?

OP Offline
Just Peters 20-20-20 and some EP.

Thanks, although mine has grown lots of foliage this year it hasn't had nearly the blooms it had last year.

OP Offline
http://community.webshots.com/user/lrbolander

I took pictures today of all my Hibiscus if any one would be interested in looking at them.

What is EP?
I have a Hibiscus that my mom just gave me.
It is about 5ft tall and I can't get it to bloom.
My other two bloom all the time.
Any advice?
Tammy

Linda, I enjoyed your Hibiscus Album and also took a peek at the other one. I have a weakness for Pugs and enjoyed seeing their pictures. wink Are you from Winfield, Kansas? My sister-in-law is a Pug breeder and she has a number of friends in Kansas. Thought you might know of Van's Pugs.

Back to the main topic...I prune my Tropical Hibiscus in the early fall, before I bring them in to overwinter in the garage. I tried the spring pruning for several years and it made them work too hard to re-establish and get back to a normal size and the blooms were much later. I wish I had your greenhouse. wink

However, one particular large beauty I kept indoors got decorated several Christmases instead of a traditional Christmas tree, much to the chagrin of my grown children and the delight of my grands. laugh It always looked beautiful with the lights strung through it and gifts piled beneath.

I know, I have a very warped sense of humor!

Link Copied to Clipboard