This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#75063 October 1st, 2006 at 07:45 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
My gladiolus still have all of their leaves standing tall with no sign of brown. Is this normal? I was thinking they died back earlier last year. Any idea when they might die back in zone 7a this year? I want to dig them up this year to give them to a friend.

#75064 October 1st, 2006 at 08:50 PM
A
A
Many of mine are still green as well. You can dig them up now assuming they've been in the ground since spring...they've had enough time to gain energy for next year. Or you could wait until you've had a frost and then dig them up.

#75065 October 1st, 2006 at 10:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
so does that mean that all the ones i have to move anyway should be ok, since my son wacked the green off with the weed wacker?

#75066 October 2nd, 2006 at 11:53 AM
P
P
tell ya what ive been doing
ive been just going along daily and looking at them. if they have any kind of brown on them ive been giving em a good yank. many times they wil separate,if they dont,i leave em be. i had planned on leaving the garden be thi winter but im seeing where the alamanacs are calling for a HARD winter this year. i may still dig em up
i sure would like some advice

#75067 October 2nd, 2006 at 11:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i've always left my glads as is through the winter.

in my zone, 6b, i'm supposed to pull them up for the winter. i never have - i've just put down a good layer of leaves (about 6 inches) for the winter and they've always been fine. i leave the leaves on too - i like to let them get as much energy stored as possible for the next season...i clear out the dead leaves in the spring.

#75068 October 3rd, 2006 at 04:19 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
If I didn't think I would be moving before next summer I would leave them in the ground too. I did last year and half of them had twins. But I don't want to leave them here when I can give them away to friends instead. Thanks for all the information.

Link Copied to Clipboard