This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Karrie Offline OP
OP Offline
I went for a swim this evening and noticed this lil guy coming and going in and out of a half rotted fence post....... [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I went over and poked my nose in and to my surprise........... [Linked Image]

AWESOME!!! You are going to get to watch them grow up!

You are so lucky, Karrie...bluebirds are so sweet and beautiful. Take lots of good pix the next few weeks to record the babies growth. I'm really surprised Mama built a nest in such an open setting.

Love the Pix!!!

It's actually pretty common for bluebirds to build in an open 'pocket' like that one. Research has found house sparrows dont like rain on their heads so there is now a bluebird house made with a screen top to keep h.sparrows out and let bluebirds in. clp

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i'm impressed! enjoy it...

by the way, i've never seen a bluebird, only blue jays!

The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Jiffy, you should have tons of bluebirds where you are but they are PICKY about the areas they hang out in. They like LARGE, open, short-grassed fields with scattered clumps and rows of trees with fences, too. Think GOLF COURSE or HORSE PASTURE and look in those types of places.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that's probably why i haven't seen any. don't get near either kind of place laugh laugh

of course, i would like to get near the horses, just don't usually have time.

Karrie Offline OP
OP Offline
Thornius, this fence post is on the fence that holds the horses in the pasture! Your nailed it as usual! Here is this weeks baby photo! Wow how they grow! Their starting to look rather sung in their lil cozy hole!

[Linked Image]

The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Thanks, Carrie. I know my bluebirds pretty well having built and intalled hundreds of bluebird nesting boxes here in Tennessee. I live in Hermitage, TN just east of Nashville, TN and built and put up 25 bluebird nesting boxes on the grounds of The Hermitage, Andrew Jackson's Mansion. The house I own and live in is one mile south of the mansion itself and ALL the bluebirds that fly through my yard are the direct results of the nesting boxes I installed about 10 years ago at The Hermitage.

Karrie Offline OP
OP Offline
The nest is empty! Isnt it tooo soon for them to be gone? I wasnt ready to say good bye just yet. ters

Awww Karrie, I am sorry they are gone already. They looked so little still.

Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Where did they go???

I am going to Rachel's tomorrow and get pics of her babies.

The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Karrie, those baby bluebirds appear to be the exact age they need to be to leave the nest. They are most likely still in the area and are able to fly now. The mother bluebird often goes back and relines the same nest and lays a second clutch of eggs. The babies that just left the nest will stay near the parents and when the new babies hatch, the first group of babies will help the parents feed and care for the new batch.

Uh-oh, empty nest syndrome!

You may see them perching nearby. On another post or phone wire. look beyond the nest for them.

Karrie Offline OP
OP Offline
I did find them last night they were on the high wire right near the nest. I will have to take a photo. They are still there this morning! Thanks guys, I was sad! I figured they were too young to leave but I guess not!

Kerry, how lucky you are! I've never seen a bluebird. Thanks for the pix. Looking forward to pix of the second batch. Would love to be able to watch. Thanks again. Sue

The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Sue, There ARE bluebirds in your area. Check Golf Courses, Golf Driving Ranges, Horse Pastures, and Parks in your area. These are the best places to find them. You might want to ask Park Personnel in your area, too, where the bluebirds are.

Link Copied to Clipboard