This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Dave, yes I believe it is fully ripe. Just a lil give when you push on it.

Nice looking tomato Triss, I've never tasted a yellow one, what does it taste like?

How do you know when that Taxi is ready to eat? And how do you know when a green tomato is ripe?

Green-when-ripe and yellows are hard to tell, you have to give 'em a gentle squeeze. Even then, it's hard to know if they're perfectly ripe. Some 'maters are pink when ripe, too, and that can be just as tricky, but you get the hang of it once you've picked one or two.

Well we had the tomato for dinner last night and it was SO GOOD!!! I will be growing more than one plant next season. Very good mello flavor!

I' going to plant some yellow ones next year too. I love that color.

OHHHH YUMMMM ..They all look great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love the fresh mozzerella too and not so easy to find here either, but...... I can live with feta or a little goat cheese, a nice crusty baguette, and the same 'liquid and basil I see on those lovely yellow? tomatoes.
What a way to start a day clp clp clp

J
J
There are a great many yellow varieties to choose from. You can see by the following link. I am growing Taxi, Citron Compact, and Lillian's Yellow.

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/yellows.htm

that lemon boy looks yummy

I am so excited. While I was out watering today I noticed lots of new tomatoes! Will take pics when it is not so hot out there. I may actually get more than a crop of ONE lonesome tomato this year! thumbup

Triss, seems like many people had late fruit set this year...if you're seeing tomatoes, you're good to go! Now it's just a waiting game... :rolleyes: Wish I could share some of mine!

Me too Dave, me too!! Gonna hit the fruit stand this weekend. If I cannot grow salsa fixings, then I will buy them. laugh

My Taxi's
[Linked Image]

And Oregon spring
[Linked Image]

J
J
Two Black from Tulas, a few Black Cherries and one Wes, a red heart-shaped fruit...they're not quite as dark as the picture shows.

[Linked Image]

Such a deep color! Very nice looking. How do they taste?

Those look yummy John!!! Great job thumbup

Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Start slicin' them up John, and sending them my way for petes'sake!!!
Goooooshhhhhhhhh those look so good!!!

*I'm still on my cherries, but they are tasty
lil'morsels in the garden*

S
S
Ciao John,

I've been away from the computer for the last few weeks we've had Munchkin here and I'm way behind on uploading pictures. It's on my list for this week. How are you loving BFT? It's one of my very favourites. I've harvested one, but it went straight away into a big batch of caponata I made with BFT, Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, and Purple Russian. I've got one I picked early today (it was caught inside a "cage" of vines, so I yanked it before it got soft) and a huge Cherokee Purple weighing 15 oz. to put on some bruschetta sandwiches later in the week.

Cheers,
Julianna

J
J
Weezie, it's certainly big enough to share with everyone! Julianna, I was wondering where you've been! Things have gotten complicated with the little munchkins here as well the last few evenings and I still have those BFTs on the counter. Tonight is BLT night though and those two BFTs will meet their maker inevitably. clp The larger fruit are starting to come in consistantly now. Last night I picked my second CP. A beautiful specimen that is probably a couple days from being dead ripe. GMG was excellent. Mortgage lifter was very good on our first BLTs of the season. The only fruits I really have not cared for are SFT and Lucky Leprechaun.

John, those tomatoes look YUMMY!!!!

I've got a little question by the way, it might sound silly - some of my tomato plants have formed 2 growing tips. Should I pinch out one of the tips or just leave them? perpl And is there any reason for them to form in the first place?

J
J
Bamboo, that's just the natural habit of tomato plants. No real need to prune them. It's a personal choice.

Thanks John. This is the first time I have grown tomatoes, so I was quite concerned when they started going a bit mutant.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard