This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Tomato fruit set...post your results Part II

Here\'s a quick link back to Part I

I wanted to share a picture of my German queen Heirloom tomato I planted May 26th. This was one week ago and now it's over 7' tall! My other tomatoes are Goliath Bush and Husky Cherry. They are exceeding their bush name as they are at the tops of their cages already.

[Linked Image]

J
J
Welcome! Great looking plant there.

Beautiful plant!

I decided to create a new garden area this year and cleared three dozen trees in the back acre woods. My new garden is 55' x 30' and the plants have been thriving. So have the animals- numerous deer, squirrells and raccoons.

Here's a harvest I took in this morning:

[Linked Image]

There's Sungold, Juliet, Supersteak and Champion in there. The largest was a 15oz Champion.

Ohhhhhhh YUM!

Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
I am headin' to MrClints' house
for dinner..

Teasin' me with those mater's.. eek
Geeeeeeeesh, you're not frown allowed to do that
to us Northerners... wink laugh
But gosh, they loooooooooook grinnnn sooooooooo cool goooooooood!!

I agree weezie, my tomatoes are hanging heavy but no ripe ones yet.

What a picture MrClint, thanks for sharing with us.

Weezie I almost hate to say this, but....

I picked about 40 Lbs tonight. I use a 5 gal bucket and I picked until it was full, and I still had some left. I probably have close to another bucket full in the house to do something with. I will probably start giving them away.

I filled the bucket twice last weekend and made Tomato sauce and Juice. This weekend I plan to make more juice and can up some tomato wedges.

Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
eek eek eek eek wink kissies thumbup clp

I think it was that 6 'feet' of compost. laugh laugh laugh laugh

No seriously this is the first year I have any luck at all with tomatoes. Everything else is dying. eek eek eek eek

Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by Amigatec:
I think it was that 6 'feet' of compost. laugh laugh laugh laugh
I think it was!!! laugh laugh laugh laugh

It's been over a hundred last 3 or 4 days, been running the high 90's for over a week. The only thing growing good is the weeds and it's hot to get out and mow 'em down.

It has been blast furnace hot here for weeks. The juliet and Sun Golds are still setting fruit, most everything else is just ripening what is already on the vine and focusing on growth. Big Beef looks like it has adapted to the heat a little and is setting nice flower clusters. I'm hoping for a few days of relief and a nice fall crop.

S
S
Ciao MrClint,

Those Sungolds look great. John and I are both growing them. I'm sure he'll chime in soon with how his plants are doing. So far the only plants in my garden with any sort of blush going on are Sungold F1 (seeds from John), Kimberley in a 15 gal IKEA bucket on my driveway, and Whippersnapper in Munchkin's garden. Everything's got fruit set now including the Opalka that I rooted from a sucker because I didn't have enough for that row. Opalka is my sauce machine, the only variety I grow more than one plant of...6 to be exact. The other pokey ones are Earl's Faux Faux (supposed to be potato Leaf but mine are Regular Leaf) and Berkeley Tie Dye (I accidentally beheaded it while transplanting it so I had to root what was left). Both of those are about 3' tall now with lots of flowers and a few fruits. The real Aunt Gertie's Gold (the other one in that growing hole is a Regular Leaf cherry..the real deal is a potato Leaf golden beefsteak) also has a few small fruits on it. Driveway plants (Kimberley, Mountain Princess, and Golden Dwarf Champion) all have wilt and probably won't survive much longer. Patio Orange and Silvery Fir tree are holding their own on the front patio. Blossom drop is running rampant due to the high heat and humidity we've been having the last few weeks, but forecast is for cooler weather and some rain this weekend, yay.

Cheers,
Julianna

IM SO JEALOUS!! Mine are STILL green...oh to have the sweet succulant taste of a fresh RED garden tomato!! :p

Mine well mostly be dead in a week or two. It hit 103 today and will be that hot for the rest of the week. This weekend it is supposed to cool down to 91. That may save what's left.

Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Pat,
Do you ever put a shade cloth of some sort
over them to give them a wee~bit o'shade like this time???

I never even thought about it. I do have some screening I put over the top.

Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
One summer I had to do that here..
It was soooooo hot... and mine are in a raised bed,
so that makes it sooooo much warmer than the ground,
and those things were bakin'!!!!
*curling up and pulling thier branches down...*

I found a couple pieces of my landscaping fabric
and slung it over the tops of my posts/poles that are on each corner of the beds..
It helped a wee~bit, but I felt soooooo bad for them...
It's not like they could pull up their roots and head to the beach or anything... wink wink

S
S
Ciao all,

Well, it finally happened..last night, we ate our first 2 Kimberleys and all I have to say is: ambrosia. After more than a year since our last garden tomatoes, these were a gift from God. Sweet, juicy, Heaven. Those Sungolds should be ready tomorrow.

Tomato Harvest 2006 has officially begun in Toronto..YAY!

J
J
Originally posted by Sorellina:
The other pokey ones are Earl's Faux Faux (supposed to be Potato Leaf but mine are Regular Leaf)
Ciao Julianna. wink My Faux Earl's faux has about six good sized fruit on it and is setting more and more every day. It's a compact plant. I have it right next to ARGG and it is only half the size of it. You were right about Aunt Ruby's! Man! It's already reached the top of a 6 foot cage with no sign of stopping. Just set it's first fruit the other day also. clp

You've got wilt in potted plants? That's strange. My kimberly gave me my first fruit at 52 or 53 dtm. I've had 5 so far and it's ripening new ones almost every day. They are delicious! Sungold is FINALLY ripening. It's got over 50 fruit on it right now. Black cherry is close and I've got three new big dwarf fruit showing good color. SFT is taking forever to start ripening. Six good sized fruit but not even a blush of color.

Here's my first Kimberly...note the crack.

[Linked Image]

Happy tomatoes to all!!

Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Gosh that tomato looks gooooooooood!!! thumbup
*I need a gremalin lickin' it's lips for this post*

YUM! [Linked Image] (Here ya go Weezie)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard