This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Drea Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I'm new to gardening so I want to try a variety of things. Have you ever grown glads in planters??
I would love to have large planters on the deck---- a screen of flowers.
I'm zone 3 so bulbs have to be dug up. If I had them in planters could you over-winter them in the garage??

P
P
i havent done this personally but i know it can be done. and i think you can overwinter them also. my dad is doing just such a thing this year and the spears are already 6 inches tall on the ones he planted.

Glads are great to grow in containers on the patio ... but remember to use nice deep pots. The flower spikes can grow quite tall, and will make a nice screen, but keep them out of areas with strong winds -- they tend to break & topple over.
In terms of overwintering them in the garage, if it's unheated the bulbs will freeze and won't grow back the following year (I'm in a zone 5 and can attest to this lol). Storing them in the cold room works great, or in the fridge if you'ce got a spare in the basement.

Link Copied to Clipboard