This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#73307 June 11th, 2006 at 03:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have 8 tomato plants growing, 2 pepper plants, and a jalepeno pepper.

I started cantaloupes a while back but didn't really have room for them here, so we took the across the street and dad made me a hill next to his cucumbers.

So now he has Mt. Cantaloupe, and Mt. Cucumber as he likes to call them! laugh

I'm excited to see how they turn out...I've never grown them before.

Dad is growing a lot of stuff....Bush beans, toms, Brussels Sprouts, Lettuce, Potatos, Beets, and some other type of bean...wax or kidney or something. Plus his cucumbers. I'll be foraging around over there while they are in England for a month and a half! laugh

2 of Dads Brussels Sprouts were eaten all the way down to nothing. And the other night we found a big burrow of a hole around 7-8 inches wide going through the dirt....He blocked it with a bucket....but I wonder what it could be?

Groundhogs are around here, and possums.....do you think it would be one of them. The hole is perfectly rounded out and really close to the brussels sprouts.

I'll take a picture later and post it here.

#73308 June 11th, 2006 at 04:05 AM
E
E
Does it have an opening on the surface? If not might be a gopher. They burrow just below the surface. If you have grubs they like them. The only trouble I've had with them is their burrows and they will dirsturb roots and cause plants to die. Can be an aggravation but have never had one eat anything. If it has an opening you are probably right on. Just my opinion. JD

#73309 June 11th, 2006 at 06:07 AM
D
D
Probably a whistle pig AKA Groundhog. Contrary to popular beliefs rabbits do not dig holes (they inhabit old holes usally dug out by groundhogs). In fact the only thing that burrows in our area are groundhogs, and moles- mole holes are small. Your best bet is to get rid of that thing, it will wreak havoc on your garden, and eat it away! Best way to get rid of it to shoot it if you can ring off shots without someone calling the cops etc, or if you know someone skilled with a bow, take it out silently. The burrows can house a family of those pests. Some people poison them, with limited luck, as usually they have more than one way out. Best time to see them is in the evening or after a rain storm, as they come out to drink off the grasses. They get nicknamed whistle pigs, because often people whistle to get them to stand up- then let them have it with a rifle!

#73310 June 11th, 2006 at 06:34 AM
D
D
Originally posted by DeepCreekLake:
They get nicknamed whistle pigs, because often people whistle to get them to stand up- then let them have it with a rifle!
lol man. . . REDNECK POWER!!!

#73311 June 11th, 2006 at 06:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was thinking it was a groundhog. :p

There was one right below my house living under my neighbors old shed, well she's have work done on the back where it lived...Maybe that drove it out of it's home over to my dads....They just live across the street from me.

As soon as my niece leaves I'll go get a picture to share.

Without saying the name of my town DCL, I live at the bottom of the paper mill---town starts with W--if you can think of where I mean. Couldn't get away with a gunshot here even if we wanted to.....very residential area. Lots of houses close together.

Dad did put netting over his brussel sprouts. thumbup

#73312 June 11th, 2006 at 06:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally posted by Danno:
Originally posted by DeepCreekLake:
[b] They get nicknamed whistle pigs, because often people whistle to get them to stand up- then let them have it with a rifle!
lol man. . . REDNECK POWER!!! [/b]
LOTS of rednecks around here! I live 2 minutes from the WV border..... lala

#73313 June 11th, 2006 at 07:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here's the hole...Like I said it's about 6 plus inches wide. And it's hard to see, but it's really smoothed out around the edges as you get back in there.....You can't see in too far because it turns to the left as you get in there a few inches.

[Linked Image]

#73314 June 11th, 2006 at 07:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here's a few of dads veggies. thumbup

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#73315 June 11th, 2006 at 08:25 AM
E
E
Loz that looks more like a groundhog for sure. Good luck. I've never had trouble with them in my garden. JD

#73316 June 11th, 2006 at 09:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you JD.....The hole was sort of blocked in and Dad is hoping it goes out the other side of the dirt bank into the neighbors yard. laugh

#73317 June 11th, 2006 at 09:16 AM
Your dads garden looks nice.
I hope to have a gardening that big one day.
Nicky

#73318 June 11th, 2006 at 10:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's actually a good bit bigger than what you even see in the picture. Years ago he filled the whole thing up, but now he's 75 it's too much work.

I'll be the one taking care of it during August and half of September. And eating out of it too! laugh

That area used to be where they kept the horses years ago....with stables, etc.

#73319 June 11th, 2006 at 12:55 PM
D
D
I dont see a hole in the pic, you defintely can tell a groundhogs hole- you probably could get your whole arm down it if it was! I def know what town you speak of, I can smell the paper mill from my house when the winds blow out of the South. Redneck power or not- a Groundhog is bad news if thats what it is. Most farmers are glad if someone gets rid of them- they do extensive damage, including damaging very expensive farm equipment, or breaking the legs of livestock when they step in there holes!

#73320 June 11th, 2006 at 01:09 PM
I have never had problems with groundhogs eating up my garden. I have 2 of them that like to burrow around my yard and garden. Usually, I just smush their tunnels back down. I have read though, that the favorite crops of groundhogs are peas, corn, clover, and beans. So if you're growing any of those you might want to try to get rid of them. They also climb apple trees to get the apples! They are so prolific around here that you can hire someone to come and trap him for $5-10. There might be someone in your area. Or you might be able to buy a trap to put out for the little feller. I've heard, although I wouldn't know, that groundhogs are supposed to be absolutely delicious...so if you're really hungry or just into adventurous cuisine... laugh

Sarah

#73321 June 12th, 2006 at 02:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I dont see a hole in the pic, you defintely can tell a groundhogs hole-
It's a hole alright, it just bends around to the left out of sight....it's all smoothed down like something big has tunneled it out...

Actually that's a better word, a tunnel. But once it goes left I can't tell to much if it goes down or where it goes.

Sarah I don't think I could EVER eat a groundhog! laugh One of Marks friends brought down squirrel dumplings once and I could barely look at them. :rolleyes:

#73322 June 22nd, 2006 at 05:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have some tomatoes coming in...woohoo! clp

[Linked Image]

#73323 June 22nd, 2006 at 06:21 AM
J
J
Very nice! Almost looks like a potato leaf plant....what kind is it?

#73324 June 22nd, 2006 at 06:24 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You know I started a few different kinds and didn't label them......It must be either EarlyGirl or Beefsteak though... Duh I can't wait to eat them!!! laugh thumbup

#73325 June 22nd, 2006 at 06:47 AM
Looking good Loz, but mine arent as far along as yours and i too have the Beefsteak ones, cant wait to go pick one!

#73326 June 22nd, 2006 at 06:53 AM
J
J
Looks like a more roundish shaped fruit. Probably EG.

#73327 June 22nd, 2006 at 12:12 PM
The leaves do look a little different,don't they? Could it be an heirloom tomato like brandywine ??

#73328 June 22nd, 2006 at 12:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh I also had Roma and Cherry tomatoes....I bet they are the early girls! thumbup

#73329 June 22nd, 2006 at 12:33 PM
It looks like you'll be 1st in the neighborhood eating tomatoes! thumbup They look so good, and I don't even really like tomatoes.

#73330 June 22nd, 2006 at 01:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeh I got those started early from seed.....My dad bought his already started and mine are way ahead of his! laugh thumbup

I give a lot to my neighbor, and Mark takes some to work and to his parents too!

#73331 July 12th, 2006 at 01:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

grinnnn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard