This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#73113 July 3rd, 2006 at 10:47 AM
D
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
My MIL has an apple tree growing in the middle of her garden. It was okay for years, but this year she has dark spots on her leaves. Several flat spots throughout the leaf. I'm thinking this may be apple scab but can't seem to find a picture of a close up on the web? She said the same kind of thing was also on the rose bush leaves so she pulled it. Is there anything else that would cause spots like this?
Since it is in the middle of her garden, if it is apple scab, is there anything natural to treat it, so it won't harm the vegetables in her garden?

#73114 July 4th, 2006 at 04:49 AM
L
L
Some examples of pictures can be seen in this link, http://gardening.wsu.edu/library/tree005/tree005.htm
from Washington State University. I suggest that you take a leaf in a tightly closed plastic envelope to a local nursery, an Extension Service Agent or a local university. Luis

#73115 July 4th, 2006 at 11:23 AM
P
P
Pleasea check: University of California-Davis IPM re: Apple Scab at http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r4100411.html

SYMPTOMS
Superficial, velvety dark-olive-to-black spots on fruits and leaves are the initial symptoms of apple scab. These fruit spots become scablike with age and tissues may become misshapen.
Organically Acceptable Methods
Treatments with lime and sulfur or sulfur alone are organically acceptable methods.

Link Copied to Clipboard