This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#72162 July 1st, 2006 at 09:06 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Being that we live in zone 5, Hibiscus are not something that you want to plant in the ground unless you want it to only live for one season. My mom bought two exact plants at the same time and place, the one is doing great, the other has a lot of yellowing leaves :p . Do you have any thoughts on what may have caused this? It has been brough in on cold nights.

#72163 July 1st, 2006 at 01:16 PM
R
R
hibiscus are hardy in zone 5. the rose-of-sharon type as well as perennials w/ dinner plate sized flowers.

the chinese hibiscus and blue hibiscus (alyogone)that are popular in the southwest cannot be outdoors in your climate.

#72164 July 13th, 2006 at 04:49 PM
depends on how the leaves are yellowing...

1. could be nutritional
2. they are picky plants, they get cold they turn yellow and drop the leaves. If they great sprayed with the wrong products, they turn yellow and drop their leaves. If they don't get enough water or get too much they turn yellow and drop their leaves... but they usually flush back.

Have photos?

#72165 July 15th, 2006 at 02:40 AM
L
L
Hello, angelsgardener. Here are some suggestions:

1. Hibiscus drop old leaves by first turning them yellow. If it is a limited amount of leaves then this could be the cause.

2. Too much moisture can result in yellow leaves. Cut back on watering if the soil feels wet; aim for moist soil instead.

3. Hibiscus prefers acidic soil but will tolerate alkaline soil up to a point. If the leaves are yellow but the veins stay green, you may want to acidify the soil or add some iron chelates to the soil around the plants (available in local nurseries).

Good luck with your plants,
Luis

#72166 July 19th, 2006 at 04:22 AM
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
I use Apple cider Vinegar in my water to add acid. Luis you know about this water here your neighbor(Irving) I let it set at least 24 hours after I draw it and add the Vinegar. Also my tropicals I have in pots are well drained I bottom water mine and have very little problem. They will drop leaves when i see one yellow I pull it off and put in trash so as not to get it on the soil just in case of a parasite. I am organic and use organic spray and fertilizer so far so good. You can see mine in my photobucket feel free to look at all of it.

Link Copied to Clipboard