This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#71328 August 3rd, 2006 at 07:23 AM
netwiz Offline OP
OP Offline
Has anyone tried winter sowing in covered containers? I've been reading about it and like the fact that you put the containers outside instead of taking up room inside. I've been buying seeds like crazy and hope I'm not wasting time and money on this method. Any experienced winter sowers out there? Did it work for you? Thanks!

Joanne

#71329 August 3rd, 2006 at 08:38 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hi netwiz,

I tried it last winter with mums but had no success. It could have been the self-harvested seeds. I just haven't had any luck with fall or winter sowing yet.

I'll be interested to hear how you do.

#71330 August 3rd, 2006 at 10:52 AM
netwiz Offline OP
OP Offline
Tk, I'm sorry to hear the mums didn't work. I will probably do half outdoors and save half in case things don't germinate. I will have a lot of flower beds to fill once I dig out the 20 or so shrubs that don't work well here. I'm really hoping to get enough plants from seeds next year so I'm not breaking the bank at the nursery. I'll let you know if any of it pans out.

Joanne

#71331 August 3rd, 2006 at 11:16 AM
Ladies, there is a bunch of great info at Wintersown.org that should be very helpful. I've been "studying" recently and plan to make a stab at it this year. Good luck to all of us. lol!

#71332 August 3rd, 2006 at 10:36 PM
netwiz Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Rosie,

I stumbled across wintersown.org a few weeks ago and have been trying to learn everything I can about it ever since. Glad I have someone else to obsess with this winter! laugh

Do you know what type of containers you want to use? My 5 year old has been helping me to make the paper pots and I will put a bunch in each covered container. Good luck and I look forward to hearing your ideas about it!

Joanne

#71333 August 3rd, 2006 at 11:59 PM
Joanne, I've been saving half gallon milk jugs but that's as far as I've gotten. I'm worlds worst procrastinator so it may be another year or two before I make an attempt. laugh There is so much to read and browse through on that website, I still haven't read every area and link. I've heard lots of positive comments from gardeners that use this method though so I do want to try it. I've had miserable luck with trying to start seeds indoors in the late winter\early spring. Marigold, Morning Glories and Hyacinth Bean Vine have been my only successes. I either kill them with kindess or neglect...no happy medium. lol!

I think your idea of the paper pots is excellent. Be sure to let your helper plant seeds of her own and you'll make a lifetime gardener out of her. wink You can plop the whole thing in your planting hole and not disturb the roots as the paper will break down.

I saw an episode of Gardening by the Yard that Paul James actually planted some seeds in egg shell halves. When it was time to plant out, he lightly crushed the shell and planted the whole thing. I guess the shell provided extra nutrients? I can't remember all the details.

#71334 August 4th, 2006 at 01:35 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
That is a good website. It's the one I read last year that gave me the idea to start some plants in winter.

#71335 August 4th, 2006 at 03:33 AM
I am hooked on wintersowing now. I have found timing is key though. Some people told me last year to sow in our area in February. If we planted in Dec. plants did not do well with the freeze thaw, then thaw again in Feb.

#71336 August 4th, 2006 at 02:21 PM
netwiz Offline OP
OP Offline
Rosie, I agree that allowing the little ones to be involved and watching their plants grow is priceless. We have been pouring over seed catalogues so he can pick the "perfect" flowers to grow. It makes it all the more exciting for me. grinnnn It will be fun hearing about everyone's progress!

Joanne

#71337 August 4th, 2006 at 09:39 PM
Joanne, if you have the room, creating a "teepee" from plants is so much fun for kids to participate in. You can use any of the climbing vines for the teepee and then surround it with a "wall" of Sunflowers. Three 6' bamboo stakes should do the trick.

It's been so danged long since I've had little ones around, I thought I would search out some info for you. There are some cute ideas at Worm\'s Way.com that would excite any five year old. wink

#71338 August 4th, 2006 at 11:40 PM
netwiz Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Rosie! What a great website. I might have to do the vine teepee AND the sunflower fort next year so my kids won't fight over it. Thank you for the fantastic ideas! I will probably grow some purple carrots and cauliflower next year as well. Who knows, I might even get the kids to eat some veggies. thumbup

Joanne

#71339 August 11th, 2006 at 12:42 PM
Joanne, I am in Pittsburgh. I started my winter sow in Feb.

#71340 August 11th, 2006 at 02:28 PM
netwiz Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Cinta, I plan to do the same. By the way, I just looked at your pictures and they are fantastic! I didn't realize how beautiful canna was. Is it hardy?

Joanne

Link Copied to Clipboard