This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#71100 April 18th, 2006 at 11:55 AM
OP Offline
A friend sent me cleome seeds. I have never heard of cleome. Now what? Help, please !

#71101 April 18th, 2006 at 05:40 PM
C
C
I saved seeds from last year. I am about to plant them outside. Just water well until they come up. They are very tall and I use them in the back against a wall as it is very windy here.
cleome

#71102 April 18th, 2006 at 06:05 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
They like full sun too so don't put them in a shady spot. I always mess up locating my plants lol.

#71103 April 18th, 2006 at 06:13 PM
When they mature they will drop seeds like crazy. So put them somewhere you wont mind them coming back or harvest all the seed pods as soon as they show up. They look like little green beans coming off the stem.
They are also called spiderflower. Very pretty, but not the prettiest smelling bloom.
Do you know what color they'll be?

#71104 April 18th, 2006 at 06:32 PM
J
J
Spider flowers! I love em!

#71105 April 19th, 2006 at 10:53 AM
S
S
In my experience, they looove lotsa of water! The more you water them, the taller they grow. I had some 6 feet tall - very fun plants to grow! Enjoy!!

#71106 April 20th, 2006 at 07:41 AM
OP Offline
Thanks, everyone ! Nice advice !
Wrennie, the friend who sent me the pods says that they're pink flowers.
Ty for the link, Connie. I'll have a look.
I planted them near my tomatoes, in a big pot, as I can only garden in containers.
It was fun getting the seeds out of the pods. So many seeds per pod !

#71107 April 29th, 2006 at 11:54 PM
T
T
Cleome is my new favorite plant to grow. I had my first experience with cleome last spring when I needed one more plant for an area I had only white flowers in. I found this unusual plant at Lowe's and bought it. I had no idea that this plant grew such large globes of flowers all over the plant! thumbup Hopefully you caught that it was "white" and not "pink". There are other colors. This year I found a cleome that has a lavender or soft purple color mixed with white flowers. Pastelish. It gives a soft look and I planted it next to my larkspur plants which are a mix of purple, white and pink flower spikes. Below these tall plants I have white geraniums and white petunias. Next to them I have white salvia shrubs and red bottle brush shrubs. This looks so good together because of the contrast of colors and textures and somehow the bottle brush is attracted bees!
You will find that cleome will self-sow seeds prolifically so don't worry about them coming back next year, they will. You will enjoy cleome immensely and they also did well for me in containers last year. I had the pink variety in a large container with Ivy around the edge of the container. The cleome does grow sharp thorns near the base of the plant so watch out! Don't just start grabbing without looking. The plant blooms prolifically, you can't stop it once it starts! It likes quick draining soil but rich soil so I built a raised bed for them. They grew well in every soil I've put them in so far. Anyway, have fun and don't be afraid to branch out and try new plants every once in a while.

Terry

Link Copied to Clipboard