This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#70185 August 8th, 2006 at 08:08 PM
HELLO DEBBYA!

I got to thinking about one of your posts earlier...it got me to thinking again....when it is 100 or over here in the temps...my morning glories do not flower well. I don't think anything but cactus does well in that heat...remember...flowering takes a lot of energy...so your plants may be too stressed trying to combat the heat to flower....wait until it cools off at night a bit...you might get more blooms then >???? Just a thought...hope it helps!!! smile

Cheers!!!
HOLLYHOCKGIRL

#70186 August 9th, 2006 at 11:45 AM
D
D
thanks for the encouragment holly, i cant seem to figure it all out. i planted back in may/june and they grew like wildfire. i was very proud! the vines have climbed the fence i planted near and have covered a major portion of it. one day i was out for a walk and noticed a neighbor of mine with mg's around a light post on their front lawn and it had gorgeous blooms. i thought, hmmmmmm i live around the corner and i dont have a single flower. i figured i would get a few in no time. that was at least a month ago and i am still waiting! >grin<

my herbs are doing well though, i should be thankful for that! :>

debby :>

#70187 August 9th, 2006 at 03:10 PM
Here are mine...I really wish I hadn't planted them...I really wanted the blue ones, but had to hurry and get something growing on my arbor...now I am proable stuck with these. Mine don't seem to be producing any seed though, so maybe I won't be stuck with them after all?????

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#70188 August 9th, 2006 at 03:34 PM
The seeds will come! Maybe if you clip off the pods after the flower comes off??? It looks very pretty!

#70189 August 10th, 2006 at 02:15 AM
What beautiful flowers! flw flw

I've never had mine reseed. I let them run through their "cycle," but they've never seeded. I always have to go and buy more ters every year.

I'm like you--I love the blues. I had to do the same this year and wound up with a crimson - they were supposed to be purple. frown nutz

Good luck with getting the blue you want!

#70190 August 10th, 2006 at 05:09 AM
This is my blue.Its actually in too much shade.plus brothers seem to be alike when it comes to plants.......BIL has broke this one 2 times with waterhose.The 1st time he tried saying it needed to b Duh e marked(ummmm thats why it has WHITE LATTICE ) it USE to have carolina jasmine growing with it.He took care of that the 2nd time with the hose.
[Linked Image]

only drawback....it don't stay open very long.its useually gone by 11.

blue blizzard.I like it its pretty
[Linked Image]

Both are Japenese morning glories

#70191 August 10th, 2006 at 05:57 AM
Ohhh those are so pretty thumbup

#70192 August 10th, 2006 at 06:14 AM
Oh very pretty Njoynit!!! So what are the differences in Japenese and the more common morning glories????

#70193 August 10th, 2006 at 01:26 PM
Love It!!! thumbup thumbup

#70194 August 10th, 2006 at 04:36 PM
clp clp pretty!!!!!!!!!!!

#70195 August 10th, 2006 at 04:38 PM
Originally posted by comfrey:
Oh very pretty Njoynit!!! So what are the differences in Japenese and the more common morning glories????
I didn't even know there was a Japanese MG ? Duh

#70196 August 10th, 2006 at 05:43 PM
D
D
oh man, those blooms are just lovely!!! flw

#70197 August 11th, 2006 at 02:00 AM
HI, I have been reading all the info on Morning Glories. I have always been told that Morning Glories don't care for the strong afternoon sun. So you should plant them in an area that would be shaded some what in the afternoon. But from what I have been reading on here I guess that isn't the case? My MG's are growing well, I have them on 4 different trellises on our front porch. The problem I am having is that the ones that get the afternoon sun. Seem to be wilting in the afternoon, and not growing as well as the ones farther down the porch. Can anyone tell me what could be wrong? Also in the fall when you get the first real freez. Do you then cut them all the way back to the ground? And wait for them to grow the next spring? Any help would be great, thanks.

#70198 August 11th, 2006 at 04:16 AM
My MG's are in full afternoon sun and shade in the mornings and are doing great in that situation. I let mine dry and then harvest the seeds before cutting the vines to the ground.

#70199 August 11th, 2006 at 02:26 PM
HELLO AGAIN DEBBYA, wavey

I have multi-coloured morning glories....I love them all...but I didn't get flowers much until the middle of last month....maybe yours is still concentrating on vine maturity? Also...did you get morning glory or "bind weed"? There is a difference...and the bind weed is exceptionally slow to bloom...and as some have stated can be hard to get rid of if you don't like the vine. Also...and this may sound odd....Do you plant by the moon phases? If you plant flowers or vines in a barren sign...sometimes you get little or no flowering??? I know that sounds crazy Duh Anyways...hope this helps...??? And hope you see some flowers soon!!! flw flw flw

Cheers!
HOLLYHOCKGIRL

#70200 August 11th, 2006 at 02:57 PM
I just seen a very pretty morning glory it is called mini bar rose and has variegated foliage, if you want to see what it looks like you can go Here And here's what it says about it: Produces Very Attractive Variegated Ivy Shaped Foliage - A Gentle Climber not Hard to Maintain - Also Makes a Great Ground Cover or Grow in Patio Boxes! Grows Best in Full Sun or Part Shade Grow as Annual ALL zones. I may have to have this one.

#70201 August 11th, 2006 at 03:15 PM
That is a stunning plant. Love the varigated leaves!

#70202 August 11th, 2006 at 03:24 PM
Hey CajunMama,

I'm in the process of putting up a chain link fence in my back yard and wanted to grow morning glories on one side and my moonvines on the other. Do you just put them together and let them go? If so I'm just going to cover the fence in both.

#70203 August 12th, 2006 at 12:06 AM
I don't know if this is a silly question or not, but here goes. Are all moonvines white? When I put moonvine in google search, it only comes up with a white bloom.

#70204 August 12th, 2006 at 02:45 AM
Mine are, they are big white flowers that smell WONDERFUL!!! They are bigger than morning glories.

#70205 August 12th, 2006 at 02:49 AM
Originally posted by chilady:
I don't know if this is a silly question or not, but here goes. Are all moonvines white? When I put moonvine in google search, it only comes up with a white bloom.
In the other morning glory thread if you go to that seed site (link)...they have a purple moon flower...So I would guess that there may also be other colors.

#70206 August 12th, 2006 at 06:48 AM
Comfrey, in the link you referred to...is it the one to Mountain Meadow Seeds ? I've looked all over that website for the purple moonflower vine and can't it although there are Daturas they are calling Moonflowers. I love the Double Purple and the Double Yellow. I may just have to order seeds for those. wink

There is a lavender Mooonflower Vine, (Ipomoea turbinata) and I found only one website selling it, Onalee\'s Seeds . Check all the Morning Glories, too...particularly the Japanese varieties. There are some gorgeous pictures and the prices seem very reasonable.

#70207 August 12th, 2006 at 07:59 AM
JMG s are strains that have been crossed.some are mutations.some crosses have resulted in other cultivers of JMG(like asuguo,nil cornell,henko....ect.)some are bred for foliage,some for flower either size or coloring(s).

I know of 3 moonvines,the pink is actually a liliac& are two whites.one has very small black seeds& is actually perienieal.the other the regular moonvine with the big tan seeds.

I've grown moonvine with mandevilla B4.they looked nice together.I think this year I musta planted my moonvine on the wrong moon...lolIt has not bloomed at all yet& my neighbors has been blooming for 2 months...in shade at that.

#70208 August 12th, 2006 at 08:06 AM
Originally posted by comfrey:
I just seen a very pretty morning glory it is called mini bar rose and has variegated foliage, if you want to see what it looks like you can go Here And here's what it says about it: Produces Very Attractive Variegated Ivy Shaped Foliage - A Gentle Climber not Hard to Maintain - Also Makes a Great Ground Cover or Grow in Patio Boxes! Grows Best in Full Sun or Part Shade Grow as Annual ALL ZONES. I may have to have this one.
Oh my Gosh Comfrey I want to get those! I love that color and folaige!!!! thanks for posting that I booked marked it!!!

#70209 August 12th, 2006 at 01:40 PM
gardenfairy,

I'm in the process of putting up a chain link fence in my back yard and wanted to grow morning glories on one side and my moonvines on the other. Do you just put them together and let them go? If so I'm just going to cover the fence in both.
I planted my MGs and Moonflowers alongside each other. When they began growing I just let them mingle together, and have blooms all over the entire area -- MGs in the a.m., and moonflowers in the p.m.

I do have some that are more "sectioned" having MGs in a large cluster, then moonflowers in a large cluster, and so on.

Good luck on putting them together! They're a nice complement to each other. kissies

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard