This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#70160 July 24th, 2006 at 06:50 AM
F
flwrgrl Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Ok - I always see walls and trellis' FULL of morning glories so I decided to start a pot with a trellis. My question is...

I only get 1 or 2 blooms at a time, they close in the afternoon and then fall off...how will I ever have a trellis full of flowers???

#70161 July 24th, 2006 at 07:33 AM
A friend of mine told me to stop watering them and they will make more flowers? I'm going to try some next spring. She has never given me any bad advice and her morning glories are GORGEOUS!!!!

#70162 July 24th, 2006 at 03:23 PM
P
P
i gotta think your gonna need multiple plants
to give you what you desire. morning glory blooms only last one day and are limited somewhat in how many blooms will show on each vine each day.
having several separate vines on the same trellis should increase the odds of having many blooms at one time. didnt know the watering thing.may have to try that.

#70163 July 28th, 2006 at 04:18 AM
They are called morning glories because the blooms only look good in the morning. Then they fall off.

#70164 July 30th, 2006 at 02:52 AM
flowergirl where the bloom fades it creates a seed let it dry and plant again mine get fuller and thicker every year due to it's seeds dropping off onto the ground and regrowing it took 3 years for it to get this full but was worth it now I have to pull some out of the ground here and there through out the yard the birds get hold of those seeds and drop them where ever [Linked Image]

#70165 July 30th, 2006 at 03:05 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Nice pictured angelblossom.

#70166 July 30th, 2006 at 03:02 PM
Angelblossom, what do you have them growing on?

#70167 July 30th, 2006 at 03:41 PM
Once you plant them they never go away. I made the mistake of planting them on a trellis in the middle of my flower garden a few years ago, and now that I've removed the trellis I can't get rid of the things. I noticed the other day that they've sprouted up again and are wrapping around some of the other plants. So much for being annual.

#70168 July 30th, 2006 at 05:07 PM
Originally posted by gardenfairy:
Angelblossom, what do you have them growing on?
I have it growing on an old dead tree instead of getting rid of it I used it for a trellis it is about 7 ft tall I had to get on a step ladder to take the picture at the top, as that's where it bloomed first laugh laugh thumbup

#70169 July 30th, 2006 at 06:06 PM
Angelblossom..Is that heavenly Blue??? They are very pretty.

#70170 July 31st, 2006 at 05:19 AM
Originally posted by comfrey:
Angelblossom..Is that heavenly Blue??? They are very pretty.
wavey Hi Comfrey!! You know I don't know I remember the package said Blue and that all I know! here is a picture where you can see its color in different lighting... each year they look better and better [Linked Image]

#70171 July 31st, 2006 at 06:36 AM
Nice!!! Do they get a lot of sun, I just planted some and the area gets some sun but not a lot. A friend of mine said they will grow just about anywhere and one of my neighbors has her's growing in the shade and the have flowers all over them.

#70172 July 31st, 2006 at 08:05 AM
gardenfairy...........Mine get mostly get all afternoon sun but it's so thick now it shades it self wink I do find many sprouting up from the ground in the full shade full sun anywhere the bird drop the seeds is where they grow !!!

BTW Gardenfairy [Linked Image] I like your signature thumbup flw

#70173 July 31st, 2006 at 11:00 AM
Thanks!! I like your signature too, espically the Support our Troops, my hubby is a Marine

#70174 July 31st, 2006 at 12:13 PM
Thanks for sharing your morning glories!! I love them, but don't have the room in my garden. Sue

#70175 August 4th, 2006 at 01:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very cool color Diane!

Here's mine this morning....

[Linked Image]

#70176 August 4th, 2006 at 02:25 PM
flwrgrl,

I have had MGs for the past 4 years or so, and the only success I've had with them is when they are in the ground. I tried planting some in large pots this year, and I only got vines that grew about 5 feet long. They did bloom, but the blooms were small and few.

I have two areas with MGs mixed with moon flowers, which is an option you can try if you want all day blooms. thumbup

Good luck with the morning glories, they are beautiful when you do get them. thumbup flw

#70177 August 4th, 2006 at 02:48 PM
HELLO!

I must have planted 75 plants this year and finally got the morning glories I was after. They only bloom one at a time...but the trick is to get enough plants going so that you have successive blooms...also...watch out...don't over water and definitely don't overfeed...this promotes mostly leaf growth with little bloom...but...leaf growth is alright if you want to shade a nice feeder for the birds in summer. laugh They seem to appreciate the vine wether or not it has blooms...Hope this helps... laugh
Cheers!
HOLLYHOCKGIRL

#70178 August 4th, 2006 at 04:55 PM
D
D
i have been reading these posts with interest. i have tremendous leaf growth on my morning glories (and moon glows) but not ONE bloom! i dont understand what i have done incorrectly. i have grown them with lots of success before in different homes i have lived in. one of the things i loved about them was they were relatively easy to tend. i have them in containers along a fence. the fence is nicely covered with the vines, but i have no blossoms. i feed them once a month or so, and try to keep the soil moist, but havent had to worry about that this year with all the rain. any advice!? i am stumped...

debby

#70179 August 4th, 2006 at 06:44 PM
HELLO AGAIN...

I think the problem must be feeding them...I feed mine once at planting with a slow release fertilizer...that is it for the season. Also...I only water when it is necessary...every 3-4 days...or whenever it is in the triple digits temperature wise. Try not feeding so much....these are really hardy plants that like a rougher environment...I have mine in containers and they have grown over 10 feet and have produced many flowers...also...as I said...the more plants you have the more successive blooms you should get. Also... I didn't see my first blooms until the plants were over 5' feet tall...so if they are small...give them a bit more time...August is usually the showstopper month here in the Pacific Northwest. Hope this helps! smile

Cheers!
HOLLYHOCKGIRL

#70180 August 4th, 2006 at 06:48 PM
D
D
thanks for the suggestions. i will try not to water as much, although it has been 95-100 here
for the past week! (new york city and environs).
hopefully i will see some color and soon!

have a lovely weekend...

debby

#70181 August 5th, 2006 at 01:58 AM
MGs don't bloom when they are "well cared for". If you want more blooms and less foliage, you need to have a "poorer" soil quality. I have mine in a compost blend that is high and nutrients, and the leaves have taken over. I have only about 50-100 blooms a day (my vines are massive so 50-100 is not much).

However, I do grow them near and on my house/porch and their size has worked to my benefit by creating shade. I also have the moon flowers in the mix too, so I get blooms all day. My moonflowers produce more blooms than the MGs!

Good luck!

#70182 August 5th, 2006 at 03:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My MG's have been planted in topsoil with manure and fed a few times and they've been blooming non-stop for weeks and weeks.......I guess someone forgot to tell them they like poorer conditions! laugh laugh Actually I didn't know they liked a little neglect or I wouldn't have done all that.....just glad I have some pretty blooms. thumbup

#70183 August 5th, 2006 at 04:27 AM
I think everyone is correct. If you notice where you see morning glories, out by the fence at the road, or on mailboxes, mostly they're where they don't get much care. It's nice to have something so pretty you don't have to work at.

Loz, how do you keep yours from invading your other plants?

#70184 August 5th, 2006 at 12:31 PM
loz,

I wish I had your luck with MGs! laugh Mine have a lot of foliage, and very few blooms, but I can't complain because it produces massive shade over my porch. It makes it bearable to sit on my porch in the heat of summer. flw

Bestofour

Loz, how do you keep yours from invading your other plants?
I have to cut the ends and runners off of mine that start to try to over take my lilies. I think one has traveled under the length of my porch (18 feet) and is now poking through under one of my steps. I didn't look closely yet, it's either the MGs, or my English Ivy that is right next to it. But for the vines to travel UNDER MY PORCH nutz that's pretty amazing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard