This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#69606 January 6th, 2006 at 01:49 PM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Happy to drag other along with me! p

#69607 January 7th, 2006 at 11:16 AM
Well it is a bit warmer where you are than where I am Jimmy. I was assured we would get a lot of them mid Feb though so that is good. Nowhere in town that I have been to has them, so I am sad.

#69608 January 7th, 2006 at 01:34 PM
Way to go Jimmy!!!! Well after reading the whole topic...I guess I am going to have get some av...It is gentic anyway as my mom has ALOT of av and her mother before and her mother before her, My Wal Mart doesn't have any out yet, and I don't know anyone around here that grows them, so will have to wait until one of the stores has some out. Thanks barleychown...It may become a new addiction for me also, once I get a plant or two to play with, or if I go to visit my mother who lives in an adjoining state. If I get starts from my mom it is a 4-5 hour drive, how do I transport the starts
so they will make it home????

#69609 January 7th, 2006 at 02:04 PM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
I usually wrap mine in a barely damp paper towel and put them in a ziplock baggie. They will be okay that way for a day or two at least. thumbup

#69610 January 7th, 2006 at 02:42 PM
Ok..Thanks barleychown I need to visit my mom anyway and she has so many different kinds, I could proable load up at her house, I just have to remeber to label the baggies, she has all colors. In the meantime I am going to look at the containers that Jimmy got at WalMart, they sound like a good deal and within my budget, So Thank You Jimmy for posting that info as well!!!

#69611 January 8th, 2006 at 08:29 AM
S
S
HI,

I am really enjoying this thread but have a question. Many moons ago, when I did AV in abundance, I always started my leaves in straight vermiculite and wick watered. Do you find they do better by putting them in the soil mixture? I have ordered some leaves and a few starter plants. I will post my results if there are any.

Always looking for better ways.

Thanks

#69612 January 8th, 2006 at 09:04 AM
"wick watered" I have never heard that term. What is it?

#69613 January 8th, 2006 at 10:01 AM
S
S
I use white yarn and, first making sure it is wet, run it thru the bottom hole of the pot. Easier to do if you put the yarn in the pot first then add your medium. I set the little pot on top of a jar or container of water and the wick pulls the water up into the pot as its needed. I have always watered my violets this way.

#69614 January 8th, 2006 at 10:37 AM
That is clever. Thanks for the explanation.

#69615 January 8th, 2006 at 12:39 PM
I called my mother today and ask her about how many av she had etc...once she seen I was interested she said .."Oh I have alot of ones already started that you can have when you can come up for a visit" Then she went on to tell me all of the extra special ones she had and she knew I would need them also..... frown Sigh...looks like as soon as I can go up there, I will come home with loads of av...Now where to put all of those little pots when I get them...She also pointed out that if I didn't have a good location they would do fine under a florescent light....Sigh frown I can see it now...a large full length shelves lining the wall with lights hanging on them full of av.
laugh laugh laugh flw flw flw

#69616 January 8th, 2006 at 10:53 PM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Comfrey if you run out of room you can always send them to Texas. laugh laugh I have shelves in every room I can get them in. That is the only good thing about being single. laugh
Jimmy

#69617 January 9th, 2006 at 10:34 AM
Jimmy I am sure after I make the trip to my mom's I will have more then enough and I want to try starting some of my own, so I am sure there will be some to offer to whom ever wants them...My mom told me about two different one which are different according to her: The first one is a double pink one which she said is a harder one to find and the other one she recieved as a leaf start from her beauty operator, she was told it was a white one...but from the single leaf it made to separate plants one being white and the other was white with a purple edge on it...She said that sometimes a plant will revert back to what ever the mother plant was, but in this case she ending up with two different plants from one leaf start. Anyway she has all colors and sizes and leaf types, I am planning to go sometime before I start my seeds the first of March....In other words this month or next month for sure and stay for 4 days.

#69618 January 9th, 2006 at 12:10 PM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Originally posted by SandieR:
HI,

I am really enjoying this thread but have a question. Many moons ago, when I did AV in abundance, I always started my leaves in straight vermiculite and wick watered. Do you find they do better by putting them in the soil mixture? I have ordered some leaves and a few starter plants. I will post my results if there are any.

Always looking for better ways.

Thanks
Hi there Sandie R. wavey

I have tried wick watering, and while I have had good results with my mature plants, I never did get the "feel" of doing it with leaves or starter size...I always had them too wet or too dry. With the soil mix, and having them under a dome, I almost never have to worry about moisture levels.

Please do let us know how it works for you! thumbup

You know, I have also heard of people who have run out of space hanging a line across a window and starting leaves in a ziplock baggie with a little soil in it. I guess there are probably as many ways to start them as there aare people that grow them.

I say if you find a system that works for you, stick to it! grinnnn

#69619 January 9th, 2006 at 02:05 PM
S
S
When I get my leaves in, I think I'll try them both in the vermiculite with wick watering and also some in soil under a dome. I'll let you know what the difference turns out if any.

You know, the little plastic things that you get at McDonalds with their sundaes are perfect for the smaller leaves as they come with their own domes. I guess I need to eat more sundaes clp

#69620 January 9th, 2006 at 10:22 PM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Now there is a positive way to look at things! laugh

#69621 January 11th, 2006 at 11:54 PM
This is terrific information. How many leaves can you remove from a mature plant without damaging it?

#69622 January 12th, 2006 at 02:44 AM
Good question.

#69623 January 13th, 2006 at 01:25 AM
J
J
I have an av in an Av pot, it seems to make an amazing difference. The pot is basically a bowl that you fill with water and then the pot the av is in is just 'ceramic' on teh bottom so it pulls the water through to the dirt. When I moved my mature av from it's walmart pot to the av pot I bet it grew twice the size in about a month. I love the watering wick idea! Thanks! I'm really excited to start some babies!

#69624 January 13th, 2006 at 01:39 AM
I have not seen a pot like that. I was thinking of getting some of the new ones I saw that you pour the water into the bottom for watering purposes.

#69625 January 13th, 2006 at 02:46 AM
Well, I 'planted' my leaves last night...not sure how it's all going to work out, but I've giving it a go. I have 2 AV's already but they were given to me, and I'm afraid that she may ask for them back when she moves back into the area...hopefully not, but if all goes well, I will have my own little plants. I'm SO glad this topic was started. It's kinda fun too...

#69626 January 13th, 2006 at 05:31 AM
Good luck with the growing Amber. be sure and let us know how they are doing.

#69627 January 13th, 2006 at 09:21 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
These are my AV's I bought last week please excuse the wobbly look I was.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Unexpected drop in blood Sugar while standing on a chair taking photo's is not very good.
Jimmy

#69628 January 13th, 2006 at 11:50 AM
Those are very pretty Jimmy...are you (or did you) do leaf cuttings from these yet????

#69629 January 14th, 2006 at 12:32 AM
I have a ruffled leaved one, I used 3 of the leaves...do you think it will grow as well? It shouldn't make a difference should it?

#69630 January 14th, 2006 at 01:02 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Yes Comfrey I got leaf cuttings off of htese as well Carolyne gave me three leafs off three other plants. Amber I am sorry Barley will have to give you and answer as I am a new addict to AV's laugh But seems to me they should root and make babies. Mebe after we get this down we can trade leaves Amber would love to have leaves from a ruffled one. Maybe I will have something by then you will like.
Jimmy

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard