This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#69556 January 3rd, 2006 at 09:15 AM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
For everyone who wishes to join in, I will be guiding you through the process of starting an african violet from a leaf.

Do not hesitate to ask ANY question, no matter how big or small, or how simple you may think it is...we are all here to learn, and chances are good that I will forget to mention something that I should! laugh

First off, you need to decide how many leaves you have room to start. You can do as few as one (though I seriously advise more) or as many as you dare...

Keep the following in mind when deciding on numbers.
#1. This is addictive. Duh

My advise would be to start somewhere around 10 leaves. I can fit 12 leaves on a cookie sheet, to give you an idea of the size of space they take up.

#69557 January 3rd, 2006 at 09:26 AM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Alright, now that we have talked about numbers, let's talk about light requirements.

When starting leaves, light is important, but not nearly as important as it is to a growing plant. Basically, you can start a leaf just about anywhere there is some light.

My first set of leaves did fine on my kitchen counter. Now I start most of mine on a rack near a north-facing window.

There is much debate over how much light is needed, but the general consensus seems to be they will root and make babies as long as there is some light, but opinions vary on whether the make babies faster with a little more light. who knows. Duh

#69558 January 3rd, 2006 at 09:32 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
What type soil? Can we use any good potting soil or do we have to have the special AV soil and also fertilizer. Thanks
Jimmy

#69559 January 3rd, 2006 at 09:50 AM
oooooooooh - I'm so excited, Sarah! kissies

Great explanations so far! thumbup

#69560 January 3rd, 2006 at 09:58 AM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Good question, Jimmy. Let me talk about pots, then I'll do dirt! thumbup

#69561 January 3rd, 2006 at 10:22 AM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Alright...let's talk dirt! laugh

Fist off, you are going to need some PLAIN potting soil. None of the ones with fertilizers mixed in (like the miracle grow one!) Usually the cheaper ones like the store-brand one is one without any added fertilizers. Read those labels carefully!!!

Also, due to the tendancy of leaves to rot, (and when you are impatient like me and water too often) it REALLY helps to mix in some perlite.

I know, I know...what the heck it that???

Here's a pic:
[Linked Image]

Perlite is the white stuff in most potting soils. It's super light, and very porous, so you don't drowned the poor leaves (and later, the plants!)

I mix my "dirt" half-and-half...that's half potting soil, half perlite: [Linked Image]

Lots of growers have lots of recipes for their soil mix. This one works for me.

When you go to the store hunting perlite and plain potting soil, you will maore than likely see a potting soil mix labeled "african violet mix"...these mixes are fine, but still to "heavy" for my taste. I still mix them half and half with perlite. However, plain potting soil is cheaper...hence the reason I use it. Duh

#69562 January 3rd, 2006 at 10:23 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Barley I know I am full of questions sorry. Do the post need to be see through I think I have some plastic that cheese spread comes in I use to soak seeds in. I will pick your brain as I have never had these before but the ones I saw today were pretty. Usualy they are bad looking @ Wal-Mart. I use pearlite all the time. Have some potting soil mixed with compost for soil is th at ok?
Jimmy

#69563 January 3rd, 2006 at 10:25 AM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Jimmy, great question! No, they don't have to be clear at all. I just happen to prefer clear, and they are easy to come by. Also, I can see when there are well-developed roots with clear pots, but that is by no means necessary. grinnnn

#69564 January 3rd, 2006 at 10:32 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Ok I will start buying more cheeze spread just needed a good excuse thumbup laugh
Jimmy

#69565 January 3rd, 2006 at 10:52 AM
oooooooh - now I know what to do with all those single serving applesauce containers!
YIPPEE!!! kissies

#69566 January 3rd, 2006 at 10:59 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Now I just have to get the sugargliders to eat more applesauce. laugh laugh Dogs don't like it any better then I do. I gotta dig some out of the trash hope neighbors don't think I am nuttier then they know I am digging in my garbage after midnight. Dogs might even give me strange looks but then they know I am nutz anyway. laugh
Jimmy

#69567 January 3rd, 2006 at 11:20 AM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Um, happy to help your reputation, Jimmy! laugh

Lynne...now that's what I'm talking about! Those containers will work wonderfully! thumbup

#69568 January 3rd, 2006 at 11:28 AM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Now, let's talk about "donor" plants. I would suggest a trip to your local wal-mart, fred meyers, home depot, lowes, ect. to pick through thier plant deptartment.

You will be looking for a healthy, happy african violet that you can take home and use as a donor for leaves to practice on.(You could also beg or borrow some leaves off of friends with violets.)This will also give you a chance to practice your growing skills with mature plants.

These are good examples of healthy mature plants:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

See how full and healthy-looking they are? Nice and green. These are good.

#69569 January 3rd, 2006 at 11:33 AM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Now these are NOT good donor plants:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These are bad because the top one have small not-happy leaves, and the bottom one - look closely at the crown ( the very middle). See the misformed and the brown? Not good signs. These can be caused by a number of things such as a simple "culture break", over fertilization, or buggies! thumbup

#69570 January 3rd, 2006 at 11:49 AM
I gotta dig some out of the trash hope neighbors don't think I am nuttier then they know I am digging in my garbage after midnight.
Got a great visual of you doing that, JV!!! laugh

Sarah, what's a "culture break"?

#69571 January 3rd, 2006 at 11:56 AM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Funny, I had the same mental picture. laugh

A "culture break" is just a change in the way the violet has been grown. Like when they are transfered from a warm, humid greenhouse of a cool, dry store. Some violets really don't take the change well.

You can also cause a "culture break" in your own home by moving it around a lot. Some violets are picky. :rolleyes:

#69572 January 3rd, 2006 at 11:57 AM
Very interesting - I have never heard that phrase before!
Learn something new everyday! thumbup

#69573 January 3rd, 2006 at 12:03 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Absolutely WONDERFUL lessons here AVQ!!! I am SOOO thrilled you started this thread...

Okay...my leaf I started yesterday...I did good on the soil but did not mix the perlite...should I leave it as is or disturb it to add the perlite?

Oh..and I wanted to add that your pics help tremendously...

thanks teach! thumbup

~V~

#69574 January 3rd, 2006 at 12:25 PM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Vanessa...I'm working on another post for the AV's...but basically, I'm sure yours will be fine! thumbup You may want to "dome" it, though...

#69575 January 3rd, 2006 at 12:30 PM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Okay...now, on to the fun stuff! grinnnn

First, assemble the following:
[Linked Image]
Use the permenant pen to label the pot with the date you started the leaf.

Poke holes in the bottom of your pots with the knife...BE CAREFUL!
[Linked Image]

Using the knife, cut off a leaf, close to the crown of the plant so there is a lot of stem left with the leaf, like so:
[Linked Image]

#69576 January 3rd, 2006 at 12:35 PM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Now, using the razor blade, cut the stem at about a 45* angle, leaving around a half and inch of stem:
[Linked Image]

So it looks like this when done:
[Linked Image]

Now...let it sit for around twenty minutes so it can sort of scab over the end a little, then stick it into the pot:
[Linked Image]

#69577 January 3rd, 2006 at 12:40 PM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Now, to keep the leaves happy and firm while they are "laboring", I like to "dome" them...in essence, create a mini greenhouse for them to hang out in...

Either "dome" each pot seperately:
[Linked Image]

Or as a group:
[Linked Image]

The covered pan in the second pic was found at wal-mart in the bakeware section. They come as a set of two for around $3.

Any questions? Duh

#69578 January 3rd, 2006 at 12:44 PM
Way Cool! I really like the idea of the baking pan with a lid. I could keep that here at my desk as I am going to put a growing light under the eave of my rolltop desk.

Just so you know, you have answered all the questions I have come up with so far. I cannot WAIT to get started on this!

#69579 January 3rd, 2006 at 12:45 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Oops! I'm thinkin this one might be a gonner from the start...I may need "do overs"... :rolleyes:

~V~

#69580 January 3rd, 2006 at 12:55 PM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Aw, you would be surprised how many I have done totally different from what is posted here and they made it. Give it a chance! Duh

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard